Cyrus CD8X Ebay Problem Help, not reading disks

mac_monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
:(

In 2005 I bought a cyrus CD8 from ebay, when it was shipped to me it wouldn't read any disks, I put this down to the courier service and got a full refund from Royal Mail. I then sent it off to cyrus for a quote on fixing it + a quote on upgrading it to an 8x.

It came back as an 8x without me requesting for it to be upgraded. I was a bit peeved at first, but then just thought I would have upgraded it anyway so just enjoyed having my CD8x for the next year.

Shortly after xmas I started to get upgradeitus. I had my eye on an Arcam AVR350 so decided to sell my Cyrus 8x and integrated 7 amp as I didnt use it anywhere near as much as my av receiver. I sold my 8x to a guy who picked it up last weekend.

This is where the problems really started :mad:

I sent him an email in the middle of last week asking for feedback and he replied saying that he hadn't had time to set it up yet as he was away working. I thought this was a little odd as who spends £500 on a second hand electrical applience and also travels a 200 mile round trip and then doesn't check to see if it works when they get home?

I have just received a phone call saying the CD player is experiancing similar problems to the ones I was having a year ago before the upgrade and he wants to send it back. I'm screwed arn't I?

I said that sending it back to Cyrus might be a possibility, and I'd pay the costs, but now I'm thinking why should I? I sold him a fully working CD player and now, a week later, it doesn't work. If we don't go that route and he sends it back to me I'm down about £30 shipping and my prised CD player is bust.

For all I know he has had it in his car for a week in the cold and then plugged it straight in, he says it's been in his lounge, but I am 110% certain that when it left my house it was working. I'm now kicking myself for not giving him an audition before he took it away.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I thought about claiming from the courier if he sends it back to me but it's dishonest and if he wants to stich me up I'd get done for fraud :suicide:

Well thats properly ruined my weekend :thumbsdow

:lease:

How did he pay?

If he picked up a 100% working cd player from you in person then your responsibility ends when he walks out the door. If he paid cash in hand then you should just say no to his requests. If he gives you negative feedback it's not the end of the world.

It was PayPal :oops:

The money has been transfered out of my paypal account, into my savings account is it still safe?

I'm 100% certain that it was fine when it left my door, so I can only guess it's been damaged in the trip home or whilst he's had it for the last week.

Did you dem the unit briefly to him to prove that it works (always a good idea).
Assuming you did, you have proven to him that it was working on collection. Post that, it's his problem.

Did you dem the unit briefly to him to prove that it works (always a good idea).
Assuming you did, you have proven to him that it was working on collection. Post that, it's his problem.

No I'm kicking myself that I didn't, it would of taken 5 minutes to plug it into my receiver. A lesson learnt I think :(

"Caveat emptor" is always my response in these cases.

It is a gamble the buyer takes buying second-hand. Shouldn't be a gamble for the seller.

A demo should have been done of course, just for peace of mind.

My fear in this case is, what if he owned a faulty CD8X and bought your one to fix his?

He could be returning his faulty one!! Do you know your serial number?

Pablo

"Caveat emptor" is always my response in these cases.

It is a gamble the buyer takes buying second-hand. Shouldn't be a gamble for the seller.

A demo should have been done of course, just for peace of mind.

My fear in this case is, what if he owned a faulty CD8X and bought your one to fix his?

He could be returning his faulty one!! Do you know your serial number?

Pablo

Yes that did cross my mind, The serial number is on the box in my ebay photos, but that wouldn't stop him swapping an internal component, without my knowledge.

Theres no way I'll be accepting it back, god knows what I could end up getting. I have offered £50 as a sign of good faith, and without prejudice, once I'm satisfied that it's been through Cyrus. I don't need to offer him the £50, but I hope it'll just make my life a bit easier, and I might even get a neutral feedback.

I have sold hi-fi second-hand for over 20 years, and lots of it. Always in the local paper and always face-to-face. I'm one of those people who keeps the box, poly bag, manual, the lot, and looks after the kit.

There was always a demo and payment in cash, and never any warranty or returns accepted.

Fact of life is there has never been any problems, at all.

Now with ebay you can reach a wider audience and indeed I have sold some hi-fi on ebay now. But still with the same no comeback-no returns policy.

Problem is of course you can't demo something to a buyer at the other end of the country.

Your circumstances were lucky you could demo, and a shame that you didn't.

You are a gentleman with your offer of £50 and the buyer should realise that. Don't worry about the feedback, and you do get to write a response to it anyway.

Pablo

Hi,onus was on him to ask for a demo,its to his benefit(you prob didn't offer a demo,because you knew it was OK?).If you knew it was OK before it left your house,your conscience is clear.If you get negative feed back,just reply honestly to it.Even peeps/ebay shops etc don't get perfect 100% feedback.I know where your coming from thou,i'm straight John Bull as well.

Cheers BOB

ps sleep tight,you have no worries.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom