Cyrus CD6SE vs CD8SE

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by cracquotte, Feb 9, 2009.

1. cracquotte

cracquotte
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am considering getting the 8VS2 with the CD6SE. Bearing in mind I have a budget of 2200, is it worth splashing out for the CD8SE or should I just upgrade it further down the line

Thanks

2. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    I'd upgrade the player further down the line. The 8VS2 and CD6SE comes in at around £1500, which leaves you more budget to spend in other ways. I know it's squeezing it a little, but I'd get a PreVS2 and 8 Power, as this combination gets you straight into pre/powers, and will sound far better. You could even lok at the 6 Power if your budget is strict.

Your other option is to get the combination you've mentioned, and add a power amplifier, but the PreVS2 will perform far better as a pre-amp than the 8VS2 will.

3. Clive197

Clive197

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi Guys

You can purchase the 6vs2 for £450 and the 8vs2 for £599 now as they are both about to be replaced along with the Pre vs2. Cyrus do not have any left having sold the last production run to a number of dealers for a special price. March will see the new models 6xp, 8xp and Prexp, do not know details at this time. They will be on show at Bristol 20-22nd February.
    PS. The CD8se is very much the better cd player and your budget will now allow,8vs2, CD8se and PSX-R for about £2,300, then save for a second PSX-R. That will give you an awsome system.

Clive197

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. phil t

phil t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Make sure you demo first, because not everyone finds the Cyrus sound to their liking.

:)

5. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    This is usually because of bad speaker matching. Pick the right speakers and it's more than an equal for the big boys like Naim.

6. phil t

phil t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Or, of course, because people actually don’t like the “Cyrus sound”.

There is no “one size fits ALL” with this hobby which, as a dealer, I’m sure that you’re more than aware. It’s just an observation and therefore my opinion, but if it’s suggested that people don’t like the “reviewer’s choice” then more often than not comments back are “There must be a fault with the kit” or “It’s a bad matching”.

One mans meat is another mans poison, which is why I always suggest an audition.

:)

7. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    I agree, but many people do hear ill matched systems, not just Cyrus, and in some cases it's the first time they hear that manufacturers system, and it leaves them with a negative view of that manufacturer. Naim was another one. Early 90's I remeber many people saying they didn't like the Naim sound, but many had heard badly put together systems. Sometimes the speaker choice can make a huge difference to how a system comes across.

8. spike99

spike99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Which speakers in your opinion are betetr suited, I have just ordered an 8vs2, the what hifi review does indicate that the sounds has moved on from previous Cyrus sound. I have some MA GR 20's left from a recent downscaling and move to dedicated surrouind sound, and had hoped the pairing would be acceptable. Would appreciate your view.

9. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    The GR's were a little leaner sounding than the current GS's, so you may find the overall sound a little lacking in the warmth department. This can be tweaked with speaker positioning and to some extent, cables. Also, if you're adding a power amp later, this will also help. Are you going to be sticking with the GR20's long term?

We've used quite a few speakers with the Cyrus with decent results. Quad, Dali, KEF, Proac, but particularly Spendor and Dynaudio. We're playing about with some ATC's at the moment, but I've not had a chance to try them with the Cyrus yet. I hear they do go well though.

10. spike99

spike99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had thought that they would be staying yes, I have VDH CS122 hybrid cable, what sort of positioning, wider, toed in?
    I will add PSX or power amp certainly and was thinking of the 8SE CD player.

I can always see how I get on and then sell the GR20's for some smaller stand mounts I guess.

11. hifix

hifix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    Positioning in relation to the wall can have a big effect on how they sound, so it's worth playing with that. Toeing in will affect the imaging more than anything else, but can in some cases haver a tonal effect too, so also worth trying out.

The VDH cables are normally quite smooth, so this may help anyway.

Anyway, see how you get on with them first, as you may feel everything is fine once you have them set up. Just make sure the amp (which will ened some time to run in) is nicely warmed up before listening before making any judgements.

12. spike99

spike99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anyway it surely cant sound any worse than the M&K's do with music!