cyrus cd problem

glenbo

Standard Member
i have a cyrus cd 6 four years old so out of warranty
on every cd at between 1 minute 28 seconds & 1 minute 32 seconds there is a blip a small skip & then it plays perfect for the rest of the cd no mater how long it is. i have spoken to the cyrus dealer & the best he can offer is a standard service from cyrus which is £180,i can not decide whether that's a good deal or should i sell the cd & get a new one.
any suggestions would be appreciated.

sirlayabout

sounds like a problem with the laser pickup, ie the laser gets to a certain part of the track then skips ahead for some reason, I have not got any experience with this particular cd player but if you can open it up and see if there is debry on the laser track that might solve the issue. But seeing as this is a fairly expenisve unit I would be apprehensive aswell.

Or you could try to replace the laser assembly (track that laser moves up and down on) if your good with soldering and electronics ?

- Aaron

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
i have a cyrus cd 6 four years old so out of warranty
on every cd at between 1 minute 28 seconds & 1 minute 32 seconds there is a blip a small skip & then it plays perfect for the rest of the cd no mater how long it is. i have spoken to the cyrus dealer & the best he can offer is a standard service from cyrus which is £180,i can not decide whether that's a good deal or should i sell the cd & get a new one.
You are not going to match the quality of your Cyrus CD for £180, and you're unlikely to fetch even £180 for the current player - as it's broken (and a buyer will be very annoyed if not warned). It seems to me that a repair is the most cost-effective resolution to the problem.

glenbo

Standard Member
thanks for the reply thats is just about what i was thinking,but begrudge paying £180 to basically stand still that's why i thought about throwing a bit more money at it & upgrading even if it was a side ways move like a secondhand linn or meridian off ebay

SeanT

Distinguished Member
Put up with it and/or add a streamer. (I went for both).

SeanT

Distinguished Member
If you rip your CDs to a PC or a network storage box, you can play them back using a music streamer instead of a CD player, with little / no loss of quality.

Consequently, my CD player (which has the same fault as yours) is only ever used for playing stuff I haven't ripped yet, which is tolerable.

glenbo

Standard Member
i see (i think i do),today i treated myself to a dacmagic plus hopefully to get a wave got the warmer sound from my cds,i have not got it connected yet because i think i have got the wrong lead,but tomorrow when i have been back to richer sounds to get it sorted will that do the same job

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom