CYRUS CD PLAYER CDi upgrade clicking

Iamgavin2

Novice Member
Reaction score
I had my Cyrus cd6se upgraded by Sevenoaks outlet back in 2018 but it’s never really worked right. The specific problem is that with certain cds, mostly those that have embossed printing or design, there’s a loud clicking noise Audible from the actual player (ie not coming through speakers)
It’s Far from satisfactory and really bugging me now. Shop where purchased upgrade (Exeter) has closed down but can send to another outlet in Bristol. however a discussion on the phone doesn’t hold out much hope they say this only happens with Cds not red listed but that’s patently not so, it’s happening with Official Beatles Bob Marley releases, as red list as you can get, surely?.
Just wondered if anyone has come across this problem with Cyrus and found a fix for it. I’m thinking it’s a software issue but , what do I know? (Answer: not much)

The CD6SE was notorious for an overly fussy cd transport, rejecting countless CDs for no reason. Yes, it was a software issue, if I recall correctly, the cost of which now exceeds to cost of a secondhand CD6SE2, which is far more reliable. Depends how much you are prepared to spend on it.

Thank you. So I paid £750 for an upgrade from CD6SE to cdi in 2018, an upgrade to a faulty model which continues the fault of previous, it’s never really worked, only now it’s clicking instead of rejecting?
The player does sound great when it’s silent, doing it’s job, but how do Cyrus continue to be a serious performer at the customer interface with that sort of performance?

it shouldn’t be behaving like that if you upgraded to CDi spec. Send it back with accompanying letter expressing extreme disappointment. Is it under any kind of warranty after the upgrade?

it shouldn’t be behaving like that if you upgraded to CDi spec. Send it back with accompanying letter expressing extreme disappointment. Is it under any kind of warranty after the upgrade?
Cheers Ive sent an email to the device dept outlining the situation as above. Here’s hoping...

If I had paid £750 for an upgrade which didn't fix a particular fault and introduced another I wouldn’t be waiting 3 years then complain about it.

This “fix” has gradually worn off over the past 3 years along with my patience. Thanks for your input.

The problem you are going to have, unless you do have a three year plus warranty on the fix, is that by waiting three years you are going to fall into the fair wear and tear category.

I agree, you really should have reported this problem during the upgrade warranty period. Just FYI.. a Cyrus 'upgrade' like this means you receive a brand new unit, they don't tweak the old one. I used to work for a Cyrus agent some years back so I know a bit about their procedures.

In which case... it just makes me doubtful about their products going forward. Noting this on Cyrus website
“For ‘out-of-warranty’ services, every product that passes through our service team whether faulty or not is given a complete review. Every engineering update is applied (most products evolve throughout their life to improve components or sub-circuits for better performance) and the product is fully tested and calibrated as if it were coming off the production line for the first time.”
Ill wait and see how they respond.
I guess different companies could have different approaches.
Some standards higher than others, no doubt.
Not all gold standard ala...25 years after I bought my rega planar 2 turntable I lifted the tone arm off a record snagged on the run out groove one evening and it cracked where it connected to the table.
Fair wear n tear, I thought, but not Rega who apprised it to be one of a faulty batch made...25 years ago.
Verified on inspection, at their Southend factory, a total upgrade and delivery of the enhanced deck back to me for free ensued. Impeccable service. I’ve bought two turntables from them since. The rega 2 is still running too.

Not all gold standard ala...25 years after I bought my rega planar 2 turntable I lifted the tone arm off a record snagged on the run out groove one evening and it cracked where it connected to the table.
Fair wear n tear, I thought, but not Rega who apprised it to be one of a faulty batch made...25 years ago.
Verified on inspection, at their Southend factory, a total upgrade and delivery of the enhanced deck back to me for free ensued. Impeccable service. I’ve bought two turntables from them since. The rega 2 is still running too.
Rega give all their products a lifetime warranty against a parts failure. They also make some very good CD players as well. Just wish they'd make them SACD capable.

FWIW in my history of dealing with Cyrus CD players this 'clicking' symptom was never something I encountered. Clicking (on any player) is usually caused by something stuck to the laser or a loose item catching as the disc spins. If you are able, take the base off and see if you can spot anything obvious. Also try giving the laser a gentle clean and see if that makes any difference.

The Cyrus players did have a few problems in the early days. I do remember around 2009-2010 the Cyrus slot loaders did have trouble actually reading a handful of particular CD's - the Duffy CD was one of them. That was a software problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom