1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus AV8 or Rotel RSP-1066 - anybody heard these a/v processors side by side?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by GrannySmith, Dec 14, 2002.

1. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    These two processors seem to be the front runners at around a grand, yet I can't find a single dealer within a hundred miles who can offer an A/B demo. Has anyone around here compared the two - is there a clear winner between them in terms of stereo and 5.1 sound quality? Thanks for any advice!

Will.

2. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Why not go listen to them yourself?, you are the one who is considering buying. Best way to judge.

3. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, right on dude.....like I would if I could, y'know. Thanks anyway ;) .

4. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    sorry mate, did not read all of your post. Just many newbies ask opinions on here what to buy and we are all different and have tastes that vary and you can't beat a home demo if you can get one, and you are having trouble getting a demo at all. I've heard good about the Rotel but not so much on the Cyrus. You know this hobby is kinda crazy at the best of times. Also some equipment will sound better with different brands, so it one of those things in life we can never be certain of when parting with our cash.
    Rotel I would imagine to be sharper sounding than the Cyrus.

I recently went SDI on my DVD player, cost me £703 for a player I could have got for £229 without the SDI. Sure it is better but not enough to worry about and for most people they would not notice.
    But again that is subjective to what projector I have and others have. Welcome to the madness that is Home Cinema.

5. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have never heard these side-by-side, but Rotel always sounds very warm and engaging, but slightly coloured and Cyrus sounds dry and analytical (up to the point of being boring). This is MY opinion though... As said, these vary from person to person...

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Again I have never heard them side by side but I have heard both. I prefer the Cyrus, very good in a simple sort of way (no frills).

7. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The Cyrus has been extremely well reviewed by the press, whereas I've seen almost nothing about the Rotel. Without listening to them my choice would be the Cyrus, it's a small, no-nonsense product with none of the bullsh*t common in AV receivers. It also has great upgrade potential.

Michael.

8. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for all your posts guys. I just heard yesterday that Audio Excellence in Cardiff had a Rotel Rsp-1066 and Cyrus AV5 (the AV8's predecessor), so I went along to have an A/B demo. Listening through an Arcam DV88+ and Rotel RMB-1075 power amp, the AV5 beat the Rotel hands down in stereo mode, although it was a closer call in dts 5.1. I found the Rotel had plenty of drama and pace to its sound, but lacked detail and subtlety against the Cyrus. Bearing in mind that the AV8 has been hailed as significantly better than the AV5 in all areas, I will be ordering one this week - shame it will be the new year before I see it. The only area I can see the Rotel bettering the Cyrus is in terms of facilities (video switching, 7.1 decoding), but in terms of sheer listenability the Cyrus walks it.