1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus AV8 - no bass managment on DTS!

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Sniper, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi,

Was considering the Cyrus AV8 5.1 processor, BUT now I'm confused.

I got my hands on the manual (PDF from Cyrus site!), and it says that "speaker size settings are disabled" as "large spekers are recommended for DTS" (nice of them to actually not let you choose!).

Then i read this: http://www.cyrus.co.uk/av_systems_spkr.htm

NOW: could anyone translate what's said in the link above!?

I got some stuff - but what's this with 15db loss?? you've got to be kidding me! 15db loss just cos' it's BASS managed - basically they're saying that the recommened THX setup is crap! Or didn't i get anything!

.... i think i'll get the ROTEL RSP-1068!

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never heard a Cyrus AV setup but i know they do good HiFi, but not so sure about the AV side..

3. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hey - I'm not mocking them or anything... thing is this actually looks like a hardware limitation rather than an actual "feature" as they trying to convince readers!

Since Cyrus are so desirable due to their performace (read sound) but also in no lesser part to their upgradability, it could just be that to keep the AV8 a possible upgrade for previous AV5 owners (cos' that's what it is - an upgraded AV5), they had to stick with the same DSP. 5 years of DSP technology did wonders & what originally was a limitation, today just isn't. Just consider that Rotel's new line of 'stuff' can have a different crossover point for every channel (great when trying to integrate rears & fronts - but could be overkill too!). Anyway!

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be nice to see Cyrus totally revise there AV side of electronics but they seem to concentrate more on the HiFi aspect of Audio which they do very well, i may try and listen to the AV8 one day and see how well it performs but i would agree that it is certainly outdated.

5. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The RSWP-1068 is rather good :) yes of course i'm biased as i've got one!!

Steph

6. leng

leng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read another thread about this a couple of days ago, but now I can't find it :mad:

Someone else complained about the same thing, which is a design decision based on Cyrus' view of minimal signal processing and their belief that you will generally get better performance using LARGE speakers and no Bass Management. However, the individual concerned had been in touch with cyrus and they had finally provided a fix to enable management in DTS. I think they were charging about £50 to do the work. You might like to contact Cyrus customer support and ask about it.

It is really bugging me that I can't find the thread now. I got to it via a google search (I think) and I was sure it was on this board. Do they archive old threads after a certain time?

I might have dreamed the whole thing but I really don't think so.

7. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    cheers Leng for the info.... so you say Cyrus have it but don't "install" it by default!

that's a bit silly for an £1K product... as i said before - put the feature there and let the owner decide!

8. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember discussing this while still at TMA, Cyrus dont see bass-managment as an important part of home cinema.

Unfortunately for Cyrus, other companies do AV far, far better.