Cyrus Av5-xpa

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by icequake2000, Jan 22, 2001.

1. icequake2000

icequake2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I am thinking of buying the Cyrus AV5 and XPA amps because of there sound for music, but could any one tale me what it is like for films is it meaty enough for action films or is it refined please help

2. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    going for an audition next Friday, Yamaha AX1 versus AV5 XPA, will let you know how it goes.

I will either go for the one box solution or intergrate the Cyrus setup into my current system

Monoblocked aCa7, Dad Q24 PSX-R, with Mission 783, 771 , 77C1 and Paradigm PS1000

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry, didn't do a like for like comparison, plumped for a Yamaha AX-1 [means I can move Cyrus system into dedicated listening room, once I get another set of speakers !], also the Yamaha is a superbly elegant one box solution and supports ES surround.

On a more tactile note, the Yamaha is an absolute monster of an amp, really well built and an impressive sight to boot, sonically it is quite stunning with my Mission/Paradigm speakers, and financially it made more sense, the Cyrus setup was going to be over £2100 [more than one dealer suggested the smart power amps instead of the XPA's], so I traded in my very rarely used FM7 tuner and got the Yamaha for £1200.

3 Cheers for Nick @ Hi-Fi Corner Edinburgh !!

My other reason for choosing the Yamaha is that although Cyrus are very good at what they do, I felt Yamaha had a much longer track record when it comes to AV amps [for the record this is my 4th Yamaha amp, my 1st one had glorious Yamaha surround sound and graphic equaliser !

Sorry this doesn't answer your original question, but maybe it will give some food for thought