1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus AV5 - worth it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dunkyboy, Oct 23, 2002.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, I'm hoping to upgrade my budget Yamaha DSP-E800 to a higher-end proc sometime in the potentially foreseeable future. My initial plan was to save up (and up and up and up...) and get something like a TAG AV30R, or second-hand 32R, but I've recently heard of Cyrus AV5's going for around the £650 mark ex-dem and I was just wondering if this even comes close to the TAGs in terms of sound quality, and should I consider this as a more short-term upgrade?

See, if I only have to shell out £650, I can probably get it around January, whereas if I have to spend £1000 on top of that for the TAG, we're talking 1 to 2 years... i.e. aaaaaaages... :(

I have no need for anything more than DD and DTS 5.1 - all this newfangled 6.1/7.1 and ProLogic II mumbo jumbo's got no appeal to me whatsoever (or at least, there's no way I could fit an extra speaker or two in my room in any case), and I don't see myself having any need for it in the next couple years.

I reckon, if I go for a Cyrus AV5 in January, that would have me sorted for at least 1 to 2 years, at which time maybe I could afford a top-of-the-line TAG, or maybe an Arcam AV8, or Meridian - or even Lexicon maybe? I just want to know if the Cyrus is a big step up from my current Yamaha, or if I should just not bother.

In terms of movie sound quality, if my Yammy's a 1, and the TAG AV30R is a 10, where would the Cyrus stand? If it's around 6 - 7 or more then I'll go for it. :) Otherwise, it's probably not worth it.

I will get around to demoing, but probably not for a while, so I'd just like to see what people think. Cheers,

Dunc

P.S. - If anyone has any other suggestions for high quality AV procs around £500-1000 (the lower the better), including 2nd-hand and ex-dem, that you think I should consider, please do let me know! :)

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It was one of the better £1k processors but has been updated for obvious reasons. £650 does seem a bit steep, for just over £1k you should be getting Meridian 561s / 565s. In performance it is probably nearer the Yammy than the Tag. The replacement might be a better bet new. I would pass on this one...

3. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Seconded.

The decoding chip used in the E800 I think was taken from either the A2 or the AX2 (can't quite remember which at this time of the morning) which wasn't exactly a slouch in the decoding stakes.

Whilst I'm sure the Cyrus is a fine pre-amp/processor, I wouldn't bother spending £650 on it as an interim solution. Hang on to the cash and keep saving for the Tag that you've set your sights on.

4. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was afraid you'd say that... :rolleyes: ;)

Cheers,

Dunc

5. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If it's any consolation, I've just been going through the same dilemma.

Currently I have a DVD player with an onboard decoder feeding a Pro-Logic amp with 5.1 inputs . :(

With what I've saved so far I could get an AV8 or a Rotel 1066, but what I *really* want is the AV32R. I heard one at the weekend for the first time and this clinched it.

If you have any doubts I would suggest you arrange an audition of the AV32R.

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    The AV32R is very nice; if your budget can go that high then there are several other processors at that level that are also very nice: Arcam AV8 and Naim AV2 are obvious examples. Slightly pricier but still comparable are a Meridian 568 or Bryston SP 1.7. You've also got to worry about getting a decent power amp for it - Bryston, Arcam, Meridian and Parasound seem to be the models of choice around here. But for the processor and amp together you're likely to be talking upwards of £5000 new. :(

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Power amps sorted - got actives for my front LCR set. :D

Well, okay, I will need a decent stereo power amp for the surrounds, but they're only Mission 77DS's for now, so shouldn't need to spend much on that at all.

Dunc

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I would certainly not put the Naim in this company, closer to the Myrad / Musical Fidelity etc IMHO. The Arcam is nice but £3k is very different from what we are talking about here. The others are much more money and offer no benefit. I have seen AV32 from £1400 to £1600 secondhand. This is what you should aim for IMHO (or Meridian if you don't want updates in the future), more than your current £1k but not a silly difference for the quality jump involved.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Meridian 565 for £1k in the classified here, not upgradable any more but serious quality kit. Any use?

10. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I saw that - and if I had a grand on me just now I'd snap it up... But right now I'm properly skint! :mad:

(Not that I have a right to complain or anything, seeing as I just received my £1100 ATC subwoofer. :D :D :D )

Dunc