1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus AV5 Processor

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Stupot43, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Does anyone have this unit. Have you had any problems with it? I was thinking of buying one until I was told there had been problems with them.

2. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I haven't actually bought one of these yet, I was hoping to get one on demo to see if I liked it. I hadn't heard of any problems, it could be that they will sort them out and only the earlier models are dodgy. I hope they do because I didn't really want to spend more than £1,000 on a processor.

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Tracey,
    What amps will you be using ?, I was gonna go AV5 but it didn't make finacial sense, so I opted Yamaha AX-1

------------------
    Put the bunny back in the box !

4. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    "Ugly", maybe not as nice as Cyrus/Arcam boxes, but it is very clean looking on the front panel, and looks very understated in Black. It is however a freakin monster of a box but it does it all, and has more features than the AV5. Why don't you do what I did and put the CD Audio in another room [if you can] and let the Yamaha do the AV, cause it sure as heck does it well, and you can get it for £1400, whereas the AV5 will set you back a grand plus £350 for the XPA [p.s. a number of "respected" dealers suggested the Smart power amp instead of the XPA].

------------------

5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Apologies Stupot43, just realised I have taken over your original post, hope at least you are getting some info, I asked a similar question a few weeks ago about the Cyrus AV pre-amp and got no response from owners.

------------------

6. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be using an Arcam Alpha 9 and 10p for the front and centre channel and I'll need a Cyrus XPA for the rears. I really don't want another HUGE AV receiver, Yamaha models sound excellent but they are so ugly, in my opinion.

7. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry didn't mean to offend you about the amp, I've just decided that I want a processor not another AV receiver they are too big for my liking. I've heard that Rotel do a good processor for about £1400 but I'm also tempted by the Tag & Lexicon, maybe with interest free credit... As for the Cyrus XPA I know the Smartpower is better but it's also £550 compared to £350 for the XPA, so is it worth paying the extra.
    I don't know what to do really, there must be some manufacturers apart from Cyrus that make a good processor for £1,000, anybody know of one that would go well with my Arcam amps?

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rotel have just brought out their RSP 976 processor in the U.K. Its list price is £900. I am considering buying one. I have read a number of reviews on the web from current owners in the U.S.,they all gave it 5/5.