1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus AV setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by FaxFan2002, Jan 19, 2005.

1. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    All,

I am going to moving soon, probably to a small country cottage, and I am considering going for a pure Cyrus AV / Stereo setup. Of course I will audtion such a setup with speakers (but which ones?!?), but does anyone have any experience / own such a setup? If so how do you find it and what kind of speakers do you use ? Bearing in mind space will be a premium I am considering a sub / sat setup but I'm not that will do justice to such a setup.

Thoughts and views please...

Robin.

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Cyrus and Mission are one, so maybe that would be a good starting place.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Given the cost of a cyrus set up I certainly wouldnt be considering a sub-sat set up.

Whilst I do not have a room size issue and so have never seriously done side by side auditions I have never been overly impressed with the sound when considering the sound alone - some give a very impressive sound for their size but ignore their size and they are expensive and not brilliant sound in my opinion.

I use cyrus for my stereo listening - I started off with the Cyrus 6 setup and have now upgraded these to the new 8x/8vs setup - just need to save a few pennies to get the powersupplies and their phono stage. At present I am still using my Quad 12L speakers which I bought with the 6 setup - I think these are great speakers but with the upgrading I have done I think I could get more from the system by upgrading these.

To me it would be a pity to spend all the money that a full AV system by Cyrus would cost and then put it through speakers which limit the sound quality to an amp worth 1/2 the price

4. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I tend to agree, I have a Cyrus for audio only with floorstanding missions (they could be better spec) using a sub / sat doesn't sit quite right. So canvasing opinons..

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    :offtopic: Out of interest, how does the 8x/8vs combo compare to your previous Cyrus setup? I'm on the market for some stereo equipment and was thinking about going the second-hand/ex-dem route and Cyrus was one of the brands I was looking at.

I've also heard that adding the PSX-R power supply makes such a difference, would love to hear your comments when you get it!

6. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think your 753s are worth hanging on to! From what I've heard the cyrus 5 wasn't one of their best ever amps, and perhaps an upgrade might get more out of the speakers.

I'm using a cyrus 3 with mission 783s and I like the sound a lot!

As for PSX-Ring my kit, I know it upgrades the output of the amp, and supposedly adds more control, but I reckon adding a second hand XPA would give me a lot more for less money. A PSX-R for my DAD3Q24 might be an idea though.

7. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think Cyrus do there own speakers, would have thought they'd be a good match.

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Tejstar - went from the both the CD and amp from the '6' series up to the 8x/vs and the difference is amazing - the amount of detail it can dig out of a recording is exceptional. I do not know if I would have upgraded from the 8 series to the 8x/vs but this wasnt an issue for me.

I have tested the psx-r out - to my ears it made a significant improvement when only 1 was attached to the CD and a less (but still noticable) improvement with the amp. In time I will get probably get one for each but at the moment I am considering what to do about a phono stage. The idea of having the cyrus one and have everything matching is appealing but spending £500 on a stage for a £600 turntable seems excessive... my advantage is 'her that must be obeyed' loves the look of the Cyrus set up and so may be could be convinced that it is money well spent - now just need to find a butt ugly stage for about £350 to get it past her.

I would certainly consider ex-demo - I have seen the CD6 for £350 and Cyrus will upgrade it to the 8x for £450 which would give you an 8x for £800 -v- the £1000 list price (and you are unlikely to find ex-display/second hand 8x's yet)

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    How about the new Mission Elegante series, they are not that big and would work well with a full Cyrus AV system.