• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cyrus AV master and B&W 683's

sparklesmcgraw

Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a Cyrus AV master to power a pair of B&W 683 floorstanders and a centre speaker. I will mainly be watching SKY/Blu ray films and listening to music via my Arcam CD player and iPod.

How do you think these Cyrus amps would match a Pair of 683's. If not a good match could anyone recommend a good set of floorstanders at under 1000 pounds. I have also been looking at the Tannoy DC6T's. I know that i need to audition them obviously, but I am just after anyones tuppence worth.

Cheers
Fraser

Timbo21

I think Monitor Audio speakers is a bad mix with Cyrus kit, but B&W could be okay, depending on your tastes.

The problem here, however, is that the AV master by itself will not be sufficient to drive the 683's. It has a L&R channel rated at 30w and 70w for a centre. I believe the 30w L&R are designed more to supply the rear channels, and that's still not great.

You would definitely need to add a Cyrus power amp or two to get the best from the B&W's. Ideally have a couple of 6 or 8 powers with the 683's biamped. But I, personally, would probably get a good £1200 power amp of at least 100w from another brand.

T.

sparklesmcgraw

Thanks for the reply,

Yes i had noticed that the power rating may be quite low for those speakers. That being the case, would it be better to buy one of these AV amps from Pioneer for example that can also handle HD audio to power a set of these speakers?

The reason i was leaning towards the cyrus is that i have heard they make great kit and was recommended them.

Cheers

daveb975

Distinguished Member
I had a Cyrus AV Master/Cyrus 7 with my B&W 603s, and it seemed quite a good combination, although perhaps a bit bright for some people's tastes.

I returned the AV Master as the software seemed a bit 'buggy' in that it would not always correctly detect the sound source it was being fed. In particular, it appears there is a problem with it downmixing a Sky HD feedback to DD or DPLII. There is a software update sue out which should fix this.

It is a very neat little product, but you will get a lot more functionality for your money from a Pioneer or Denon receiver.

deckingman

Hi, After months of auditioning and research, I've made the decision but not the actual purchase yet (still saving). Speaker system B&W 683 home theater (more or less) and Pioneer VS-LX70. Definitely worth a listen IMO. Or, to save a few bob you could try the LX60 or LX50.

thfcwestlower

I think that the AV master is a very neat way (although pricey) of creating a decent 5.1 set-up when you already have a decent two channel system, especially an existing Cyrus two channel system.

I dont think it's strengths lie in using it to create a 5.1 from scratch, moreover, to transform a current 2 channel set-up by just powering rears/centre and providing outputs for a sub

Timbo21

I think that the AV master is a very neat way (although pricey) of creating a decent 5.1 set-up when you already have a decent two channel system, especially an existing Cyrus two channel system.

I dont think it's strengths lie in using it to create a 5.1 from scratch, moreover, to transform a current 2 channel set-up by just powering rears/centre and providing outputs for a sub

Yes, I would agree.

Timbo21

Thanks for the reply,

Yes i had noticed that the power rating may be quite low for those speakers. That being the case, would it be better to buy one of these AV amps from Pioneer for example that can also handle HD audio to power a set of these speakers?

Really depends what you want to achieve.

Since you have an Arcam CD player I would think you would want good 2 channel performance for music, as well as movies. Denon, Pioneer and other AV amps are good on films, but can be disappointing on music. The Arcam AVR350 is good on both, but doesn't cater for the new Hi Def codecs. Still, I would prefer to have an Arcam AVR350 over a Denon 3808/4308/Pioneer LX70, or other AV amps (except a Primare SPA21).

At some point Arcam will bring out an AV amp with Dolby True HD & DTS Master Audio, but not right now. You can still use the multichannel analogue inputs on the AVR350 for use with a Blu-ray player that decodes Dolby True HD etc internally instead of doing bitstream to an appropriate amp like a Denon 3808.

The other alternative is to have a seperate amp for stereo which hooks in with an av amp, but this is more costly.

sparklesmcgraw

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies guys, all are helpful.

I am interested in good quality stereo sound, but at present most of my music listening will be done via ipod not the cd player.

I just am after a good quality audio set up that can handle film audio equally well. I do not plan on going with a 5.1 set up until later on. Just a left and right and centre channel for now, so HD audio isnt critical.

So the AV master on its own would not power this set up sufficiently?
I will try to get an audition with a Pioneer AV amp, to hear how they are for music.

Thanks Again

EDIT
Basically iam after a good powerful 3.1 amplifier system for music and film

Timbo21

I would reiterate my endorsement for the Arcam.

If you can't run to £1250 for an AVR350, then the AVR280 is also excellent for around £900. Both amps can use channels 6 & 7 to biamp your B&W 683's, which would be even better.

T.

If you want music performance Arcam is the way to go.

Bails

Just to raise one other option, do you really need a centre channel?

I've recently got rid of my 5.1 system to purchase a better quality 2 channel system. My intention was to improve the quality of stereo audio playback, which I've done, but I'm actually preferring tv and dvd this way as well. I don't miss my centre speaker at all.

For the price of an AV Master, and trading in your centre speaker, you could get a very nice stereo integrated amp that would romp on your multichannel options. The new Arcam FMJ A28, the Primare I21 or Roksan Kandy LIII spring to mind...

Mark F

the AVR280 is also excellent for around £900.

Currently only £599 at SuperFi and one or two other places. A complete steal at that price.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom