Cyrus Audio ONE Integrated Amplifier Review & Comments

Nice review.

I can't help think that the chromecast limitations may actually give a less than stellar impression with this amp. Don't get me wrong, i love the cca. I set up an old Pioneer A400 amp with a chromecast and q acoustic speakers for my father and it sounds great. I set up a similar one in my own house with a Marantz with built in DAC, and there is a definite sound advantage to hooking the CCA up using an optical out into the marantz than using it's own dac

I never expected the CCA to be used by the likes of Cyrus and Naim. I've had my three for a while and have ended up running all of them into DACS, an old Beresford, my XTZ and a Yamaha 3020 receiver. There's no doubt that it won't be doing the Cyrus any favours like this, but I'm glad the CCA is getting the recognition it deserves for something so cheap. I've just bought the Home mini to go with my 3 CCA and Chromecast, and with my Galaxy S7 it just all works and cost me £130 for all 5, hard to complain. Now the big boys are including it I can see the mainstream companies doing the same. Must look for the Naim review to see if having it built in improves the sound.

Good review.

What on earth is this industry coming to?

I remember when manufacturers/dealers had the balls to tell people about how important source quality (both hardware and format/software) was.

I did also test the Cyrus with an Oppo Sonica and a Michell Gyrodec- neither of which are shabby performers so I was able to judge the performance of the amp on its own. Ultimately, Cyrus is giving you a free source to use with the ONE for a limited period. It isn't the last word in performance but it works surprisingly well.

No Asynchronous USB

Crikey £699 doesn't even get you the traditional Cyrus metal casework. I remember when the entry Straight Line amp gave you that at almost half the price.

Crikey £699 doesn't even get you the traditional Cyrus metal casework. I remember when the entry Straight Line amp gave you that at almost half the price.
The amplification of the Cyrus One is based on that of the £1900 Stereo 200 - quite different to what you would've got with any of the traditional case amplifiers of the same price over the years.

What on earth is this industry coming to?

I remember when manufacturers/dealers had the balls to tell people about how important source quality (both hardware and format/software) was.
I still do - seems to be very overlooked in this digital age.

After the teaser regarding the Rega Brio, can we have the full review ASAP please - am keen to find out how it shapes up, before dropping my hard-earned on one of these two amps.

After the teaser regarding the Rega Brio, can we have the full review ASAP please - am keen to find out how it shapes up, before dropping my hard-earned on one of these two amps.
They're quite different sounding amps, and I'm guessing that the choice will partly be down to the speakers used. Both similar featurewise, with the added convenience of Bluetooth on the Cyrus, and (albeit basic) control app.

They're quite different sounding amps, and I'm guessing that the choice will partly be down to the speakers used. Both similar featurewise, with the added convenience of Bluetooth on the Cyrus, and (albeit basic) control app.
If I’m thinking of getting these Amos which do you think would pair better with the Dali Zensor 5, I like clean warmish sound, thanks.

If I’m thinking of getting these Amos which do you think would pair better with the Dali Zensor 5, I like clean warmish sound, thanks.
Based on your description, I'd say the Rega. The Cyrus is a more muscular, powerful amplifier that doesn't sugar coat anything - it is more neutral than the Rega.

The amplification of the Cyrus One is based on that of the £1900 Stereo 200 - quite different to what you would've got with any of the traditional case amplifiers of the same price over the years.

I guess they need to budget somewhere but I just think their original casework looks and probably feels so much nicer, I'm sure it sounds very good though.

Well, you have Bluetooth, a phono stage, a control app, some brand spanking shiny new LEDs, more power, and I’m guessing a lower noise floor.

Could'nt wait any longer & opted for a Brio...even after just three days running-in, it's bloody fantastic, just so musical & analogue-sounding, even with a low bitrate source such as BBC iPlayer running through a Chromecast & into an old pair of Acoustic Energy AE109's, they never sounded so good! Bowled over I have to say...but still looking forward to the imminent AVForums review.

Cyrus kit is excellent. I've been using them for over 20 years. To be honest I'd got for a reconditioned cyrus 8 for the same money as the one. Obviously the 8 is pure hifi without the digital addons the one has. From what I've read the one isn't up to cyrus usual impeccable standards. The case is flimsy and there are better amps at the price point. It's unusual for cyrus Amps not to be top of their class. Personally I'd avoid the one.

Cyrus kit is excellent. I've been using them for over 20 years. To be honest I'd got for a reconditioned cyrus 8 for the same money as the one. Obviously the 8 is pure hifi without the digital addons the one has. From what I've read the one isn't up to cyrus usual impeccable standards. The case is flimsy and there are better amps at the price point. It's unusual for cyrus Amps not to be top of their class. Personally I'd avoid the one.
Well if I only had £700, it’d be my first choice.

Superfi have this down to £499 in their Black Friday sale, with the CCA...
Cyrus ONE Amplifier - Superfi
I got this deal, and in case anybody is thinking of following suit, I'm extremely happy. Sources are Qobuz via a Chord Mojo and my turntable via the on-board phono stage, powering B&W 685 s2 speakers. Sounds excellent to my ears and a proper upgrade on my old amp, a Marantz PM 6005. Would highly recommend if a similar deal reappears.

I got this deal, and in case anybody is thinking of following suit, I'm extremely happy.

I placed an order for this deal on the 22nd November, they've still not fulfilled it. Did you have to wait so long for yours? Is this normal for Superfi? I'm close to the stage of telling them to shove it and buying the One HD elsewhere instead.

I placed an order for this deal on the 22nd November, they've still not fulfilled it. Did you have to wait so long for yours? Is this normal for Superfi? I'm close to the stage of telling them to shove it and buying the One HD elsewhere instead.
I bought in Richer Sounds. They priced matched the Superfi offer and I got it a couple of days later, so Can't comment. Sorry.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom