1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus and PLII

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by David Bier, Nov 6, 2001.

1. David Bier

David Bier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a processor to plug into my Denon AVR-3300 as a first step towards separates. The cyrus AV5 is looking a good bet at the moment but I've noticed that it doesn't support PLII. Does anyone know whether there is an upgrade planned or whether it's software upgradeable like the Tag?

Also, does it have 5.1 inputs?

Thanks for any help,
    David Bier

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Cyrus use a chip solution, therefore an upgrade is HIGHLY unlikely, look elsewhere if you want PL2 (which I recommend).

3. mulcahya

mulcahya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to Cyrus direct about those (and some other) issues and basically their response was:
    - No, there's no chance of upgrading to PLII for existing customers.
    - No, it doesn't have a 5.1 input because they think their on-board DTS and DD decoders are the ants pants anyway so why would you want to use someone elses. Hmmmm.

While we're at it. A reputable hi-fi mag suggested that upgrading the Cyrus DVD7 to DVD-A "was being investigated". Well, it was investigated and it's just not at all possible....the mechanisms just aren't compatible.

That said....I still went and bought the AV5 and DVD7 and I'm more than happy with the performance.

Cheers,
    CA

4. andyh41

andyh41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For anyone interested, Cyrus are launching the AV8 (£1100) which is an upgrade of the existing AV5 processor. It now includes PLII and a selection of 'audiophile improvements'. AV5 owners can upgrade to PLII for £180 and to full AV8 status for £240. Good news for existing owners like me :)

Still no 5.1 input though.

5. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Indeed that is good news, given the AV5 can be picked up really quite cheaply these days.

Steve

6. mulcahya

mulcahya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget PLII.....I'd be happy if I could figure out a way to turn off or dim the display for late night or dark room viewing.....any ideas how? Man that display is bright. I can do it with the DVD7 but not the AV5.

Other than that operational issue, the AV5 does a pretty fine job.....although, 6.1 or 7.1 would be good. Come to think of it, there are two sets of sub and center channel outputs, what a waste of real estate. Any decent sub or center speaker would have a daisy chain output so why waste such precious space on the reciever.....that could have been the 7.1 or another analogue input!

Aye!