1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus + amp + Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by audiovette, Oct 2, 2005.

1. audiovette

audiovette
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody
    I just bought Cyrus CD8X and PSX-R power supply for it.
    What amplifier would you guys recommend for this system?
    Should I buy Cyrus amp or are there better choices out there that would work well with CD8X?
    Also, please help me choose speakers that would complement this CD player.
    Please feel free to give me any advice on this set up.
    Thank you

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Audiovette,

I could only say that the best choice IMO would be the matching Cyrus 8vs amp and i am sure that others will give some alternatives but i have always used Cyrus kit with there relevant partners and to me they sound superb together, ref to speakers Cyrus work well with ProAc, Dynaudio & Spendor and recently i have been running the new B&W 805S's speakers which really do sound very good with Cyrus and i am very happy with the sound, i would not look at the B&W 700 series as they are and can be quite harsh sounding with Cyurs kit.
    The best way to judge what you want will always be to demo as much as you can, anyway that's my 2p worth.

Regards
    John

Sorry forgot to say Welcome to the Forum!! :thumbsup:

3. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I've got some Kef Reference one-two's running with a Cyrus 8 and they are sublime. £1350 when new they won bags of awards. I picked mine up on the classifieds for £400. Utter bargain.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just realised that Audiovette is in the USA so maybe the alternative speakers i have mentioned might not generaly or readily availible in the US if that is the case then try and audition some more makes you are familiar with aswell... :)

5. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sort of budget do you have for the amp and speakers and what sort of sized room do you have.

Do you have a preference for stand mount speakers of Floorstanders?

6. audiovette

audiovette
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Thanks everybody for your recommendations.
    Recruit, thanks for the welcome to the forum. I’m so glad that I found this place, because I like European AV components. Just like you said some of the manufacturers that are well known in Europe, are unknown and unavailable in the States. That’s why the opinions given by the members of this forum are very valuable to me.
    Stebbo, I don’t have a preference when it comes to the size of the speakers.
    My room is medium size, and my budget for the amp and the speakers is around $6000
    Witters, I will definitely give Kef an audition.
    My current system is
    Denon AVR-4802R, old Denon CD player, (that’s why I’m upgrading my setup), old Denon DVD player, Monster Power Signature HTS 5100, Axiom M80ti tower front speakers, Axiom VP-150 center, Axiom QS8 surrounds and Definitive Technology Supercube II.
    I’m trying to put together a better system using European components. If you have any other recommendations for European products, please feel free to help me out here.
    Thanks everybody
    Cheers

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Audiovette - There is quite alot of info in this forum and you can always use the search feature which will always bring up alot of useful information which has already been discussed on forum and i am sure if you search for Cyrus it will return quite abit. :)

Like i mentioned earlier i use the new B&W 805S's for my 2 channel system and if there is one recommendation i can give it is these speakers, maybe see if you could try and find a dealership that would stock these speakers as IMO they really do work well with Cyrus kit and you will not be dissapointed but the key to getting the right equipment is to demo as much as possible so you know that the choice you made is the right one so happy listening.. :thumbsup:

Regards
    John

8. stebbo

stebbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure prices relate in the US but a Krell 400xi Integrated and some B&W 804's would be very hard to beat.

I believe the Krell is about $2000 so $4000 on Speakers would be a very nice set up indeed. I think you need find somewhere which stocks both the Kefs and the B&W's. You could also try the Dynaudio Contour S3.4s as well.

Good luck

9. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Have a look at the Unofficial Cyrus forums HERE Some good reviews on Cyrus kit and some very helful advice as well. :smashin:

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good call witters i forgot about them !

11. audiovette

audiovette
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John, Stuart and Witters
    Thank you guys for suggestions and recommendations. I will definitively check them out. You’ve been a great help, thanks again
    Cheers!!!
    Chris

12. Mike_pt

Mike_pt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using cyrus monoblocks to drive a pair or martin-logan ascent i as front speakers, and can tell you they can play very well indeed. you can couple it with the monoX preamp if you just want a stereo system, or with the av8 pre with the 5.1 analog in upgrade if you want to build a 5.1 channel. the monoblocks work very well with the martin-logans, which are quite hard to drive, and the sound is amazing. if you want, you can later add another pair of monoblocks and drive the speakers in a bi-amp configuration.