Cyrus 7+ or Arcam Diva 88+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by vwgti16v, Jan 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. vwgti16v

vwgti16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have finally saved up enough money to buy one or the other but can't decide which one. I am looking for the best picture from RGB scart and the best possible CD replay for e.g does the arcam play good cd's campared to cyrus with the DAC upgrade?.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. vwgti16v

vwgti16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also spotted Tosh sd900e(£700). Whats this like compared to the above.

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi - I can't comment on the other products you mention but there is a comparative review of the Arcam and Cyrus players (and aLinn and Roksan models) in this month's What Hi-Fi? There is also a 3 page review of the DV88 Plus in the latest Hi-Fi Choice which is just on the bookstands. I would also remind you that the DV88 Plus supports progressive scan (which it is possible you may need in the future) and is readily upgradeable to support DVD-Audio.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I would consider the Denon 3800 as well, if I were you.

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And it's quite a strange review, it refers to the DV88+ as a 'benchmark' at the price in it's conclusion, but throughout the review it never over states any of it's praises. It clearly states the fact that the Zorran Vaddis can't compete with the Silicon Images chip used in other Arcam players and the upper market Denons.

The review seems to give with one hand and take with the other. It left me a little confused to be honest.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have spend a little time the new baby Arcam. I think it is a brilliant new little player (I prefer this 88+ to the old 88 even forgetting the PS bit). These Guys are getting seriously good at digital now and it is well priced for what you get. For me at £1k it takes some beating and has the support of John and his team which previously has been very good. Looks great as well. I’m a fan. :clap:

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A positive review in What Hi-Fi for DV-88+ is to be taken as seriously as a negative review for Gallo NMs, i.e. it means little.
    If we are to dismiss the magazine's credibility following a bad showing for a forum favourite, we can't really cite a good showing as proving any prowess.
    The Hi-Fi Choice review has inconsistancies, as mentioned.
    So magazine reviews apart, the Arcam DiVA 88+ is an excellent player, you can buy it for £900 @ www.creative-audio.co.uk other Arcam dealers too, no doubt.
    The Cyrus DVD-8 @ £1200 makes sense within a Cyrus system but otherwise look at alternatives.
    If you are looking at best interlaced RGB output for the immediate future, with Pal-Progressive capability for beyond too, then with £1000 to spend I would choose between the Philips DVD-963SA @ £308 from www.robertsons-online.co.uk or the Denon DVD-3800 from www.discounttv.co.uk
    Reading your words that " you have finally saved up enough money " suggests you are not dropping a grand on a DVD player lightly. It may be worth considering that SACD and DVD-A seem to be gaining credibility. Within the following twelve months you will be buying hybrid discs containing CD, and SACD / or DVD-A almost regardless of your musical preference. So you might be better off sitting on your cash to see what happens, particularly regarding " Universal " players handling both Hi-Res Audio formats.
    Important also to note the PQ difference between a good £100 player and a state of the art model are quite subtle when viewed through an RGB scart on a television.

8. vwgti16v

vwgti16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies.

The PS from the acam dosen't interest me now as I don't have a plasma or projector neither am i likely to have in the immediate future (due to house move).

And excatly for the same reason I am looking to buy something now as once I have moved the funds will be all gone. I am a little sceptical about the magazine reviews so I always try and get other peoples opinions rather than just look at the reviews.

While browsing I also spotted ONKYO dv 939 which is getting good reviews. I think I am going to have to visit the sound and vision show @ bristol to get more ideas. Which leads me to ask if amyone here is from Bristol then how far is the actual building from the Temple meads station.

Cheers.

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sound & Vision show hotel is very close to Temple Meads, easy walking distance (5 to 10 mins tops).

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Wow, don't take this the wrong way, but definitely keep hold of your cash :suicide:

11. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Beekeeper is right in what he says about the Arcam players.
    The 88+ is a very nice player along with the 88, DV27 & i've every confidence the 89 will be a really nice player too.

The Denon 3800 is ok, but i think the colours look a tad unatural.
    I think the Arcams play CD's better too.

But you do get lots for your ££'s from the Denon, although the massive amounts of bugs, niggles, problems with their players over the last year or so would mean they would be off my list if i were shopping in this ££ range.

Adzman

EDIT: forgot to say that i haven't seen/heard the Cyrus

12. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Having owned lots of DVD players, inc the Arcam DV88, in the quest to find the best one box solution for movies and music, I've come to the conclusion that the ideal solution comes in 2 boxes!!

I currently own a Toshiba SD900e and a Cyrus CD7, both bought 2nd hand for a total of £875. The CD7 is an amazing CD player and I only bought the Tosh because its built like a battleship and the draw mechanism is so flash :laugh:

If I was buying from scratch again, I'd still buy a CD7 (one on Loot right now for £350, the guy must be desperate) and maybe a Philips 963/Sony 905/Pioneer 656 which would give the best of both worlds, albeit in 2 boxes.

:smashin: