1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus 7 - no bass :(

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Funky Bass, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Funky Bass

Funky Bass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've recently invested in a Cyrus 7 (seeing as they're going cheap atm) but only have it hooked up to a pretty basic system i.e. dvd player, B&W DM303's and stock interconnects. The sound is really bright with loads of treble and very little bass. Any ideas what I can do to even out the sound a little? My room is also v v small which doesn't help matters :(

thanks for any help

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funky bass - Cyrus equipment can be quite difficult to partner with right the equipment and if you're source is of poor quality then it will not help matters, i know it is not what you want to hear but i have a Cyrus 7 and bass is definitly not a problem, i would suggest maybe moveing the speakers closer to the wall to try and reinforce some of the bass and a dedicated CD player will also improve things too if possible and maybe some better interconnects .

Regards
    John

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    in the past ive found really cheap interconnects (between cd/dvd and amp) thin out the bass big time.

4. Funky Bass

Funky Bass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can your recommend some decent kit that might go well with the cyrus? my budget is about £30 - £40 for interconnects, £300 - £500 for some bookshelf speakers and probably about £200 for a cd player (DAC?)

thanks

5. Funky Bass

Funky Bass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *BUMP*

anyone???

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have always found Chord Cables work well with Cyrus equipment maybe worth looking at, also for speakers have a look at the Quad L series ie 11L's or maybe even the 12L's nice sounding speakers, ref to CD if i was you try and get a good source to partner as this is probably the most important part so if you could spend more than intended it would work out better in the long run, Rotel have some nice CD spinners and also Cyrus IMO make some very good CD players too, try and have a look at Ebay and see if you could get a bargain S/H.

Regards
    John

7. d4v34

d4v34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi FunkyBass,
    Unless there's a physical problem with your amp I'd say the problem lies with your source. Before spending out just try a dedicated CD player with the amp and your current speakers and see if that makes a difference. Remember crap in, crap out.
    I used to run my Sony DVD player as a CD and the sound had little bass and resolution, I thought the problem was with the amp and I spent hours trying different amps to improve the sound. After I tried a NAD C370 which would have had more than ample power and made no significant difference I finally twigged it must be something else. I bought a Cambridge Audio external DAC from RicherSounds plugged it into the DVD player and the difference was like night and day. There was bass and scale, I couldn't believe how different it was.
    There are quite a few very good sources out there now but I'd take the amp and speakers along to a shop and get some demo time in with my favourite tracks.

Cheers
    Dave