1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus 6 - what speakers/cables

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by scottm, May 4, 2004.

1. scottm

scottm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all. I'm trying to put together a system to upgrade my 6 yr old budget system that's done me well until now.

I had a Cyrus 6 CD + Integrated amp in mind. I've read reviews of this kit in What Hi-Fi and in these forums and the kit seems to get rave reviews from everyone as far as I've seen.

Where I'm not too sure, is on the subject of speakers + cable.
    I've got the Quad 12L's in mind. They again seem to get a good write up from pretty much everyone. My possible alternatives (recommended to me by the manager of the shop I'm going to demo some of this kit in soon) are the Dynaudio Audience 42's.

Cable wise, I had though (going purely on a recommendation or two in What hi-Fi) are the Atlas Voyager interconnets and Merlin speaker cable. However ... the said shop manager reckons that the Chord interconnects work best with a Cyrus. He sounded like a pretty knowledgabe chap,and the Chord interconnects seem to be spoken of favourably.

Anyone here have any thoughts on this combo ... or another alternative not mentioned here.

Cheers

S

2. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
  3. whiteflyer

whiteflyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going the other way round, I went to demo the Dynaudio Audience 42's and the shop had me try the Quad 11L's . It was the quads I came out with. I belive the 12L's have a deeper base sound than the 11's .

Pricewise I paid £350 for Birdseye Maple 11L's and the dyno 42's where £399 with Quad 12L's at £500.

Let us know how you go on with the amp and cable as this is VERY similar to what I am looking to buy.

I lot of magazines give the Roksan Kandy amp a good review

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Scottm,
    I have all chord cables on my CYRUS Kit and i have got to say the sound is superb,i did try Van de Hul & Cyrus's own interconnect but the Chord Cables did it for me.
    I have used the Chord Chorus & Solid Interconnects and for speaker cable I use the Chord Rumour Bi wire.
    Worth considering!!!

5. scottm

scottm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey. Just been doing a bit more digging around today, and have a bit more of an idea of what I'm after (I think). Also I can maybe throw in my 2$ worth to a couple of the replies.

Firstly, I checked out the site the first guy recommended (http://www.rdh.34sp.com/forums/)
    and from the thread where everyone lists their system setup, it appears as tho most folk have gone down the chord cable route.

Most folk seem to have the Chord Chorus, and one or two with Chord Signature. I checked the price of both these: between 140 - 200 for the Chorus, and around 500 quid for the Sigs!!

Maybe a bit out of my price range ?? but useful, and at least it seems as though there's quite a few folk paring Cyrus+Chord.

Though, recruit seems to have gone for the chorus cables as well ... maybe these are worth saving for given all the owners.
    May opt for Carnival spkr cables + calypso interconnects in the meantime. At the mo I've got Cambridge Audio Pacific ic's and some random speaker cable from Richer Sounds.

whiteflyer ... May 04's (the most recent one) What Hi-Fi reviews the Quad 11L's and the Dynaudio 42s along with another 4 or 5 speakers, and they seem to agree with you, and the 11L's come out on top.

From a comment in the April edition, it seems as though they reckon the 12L's beat the Dynaudio 52s! Dynaudio then came out with the 52se though ... but at 950 GBP, a bit more expensive.

The Roksan Kandy MK 3 amp is currently What Hi-Fi's Best buy for the midrange setup (as you probably know). Also ... the folk I've spoken to in the 2 very decent shops I've been in think it's a great amp too. However, I don't think folk seem to think *as* highly of the corresponding CD Kandy, that you would possibly think of pairing it with.

I've been recommended the Cyrus setup, and I think I have my heart set on that. It came first to the possible pairing of the Kandy MK3 Amp, and Arcam DiVA CD73T. This was also recommended as a decent system.

I'll let you know how I get on.

S.