1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus 6 vs ROksan MK3 vs Rotel; CD+AMp for around £1200

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Saya2001, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Saya2001

Saya2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi There

Has anyone tried these three systems , and could tell pros and cons of these please?

Basically i am looking for a system that is powerful and controlled at high vol but sweet sounding too. That would play pop and classic in detail.
    Any traders or expert advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You could try the Rega Planet as a CD and the Mira amp, that would come in at about £1000. It's very minimalist but no expense spared where it counts: Producing fine music. A Very fine and very musical CD Player. Especially good at detail retrieval. I can only compare it to the Rotel equivilent and the Roksan MkIII. Both lack the smoothness and clarity of the Planet. Rega Amps are not quite so good. Very detailed but lacking a little in power. Bi AMP with a Power amp and you solve this problem. Then they really start to sing!
    Another alternative is the Exposure 2010 CD and Integrated amp. Another really strong combination. A bit dearer but offering a deeper base and bigger sound stage. A better all rounder than the Rega combination as a CD/integrated option.
    In comparison to both these combinations the Roksan and Rotel systems sound rather flat and bland sounding, lacking the detail retrieval of either the Rega or the Exposure CD Player.
    If you like a smoother more controlled sound give either of these a go. Both will play loud and the Exposure will sound better at higher volumes but it has a higher price tag.

What are your speakers?
    I haven't heard the Cyrus so I can't comment.
    Good luck

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Having had Cyrus kit before I will warn you that the Cyrus 6 series components are a bit below par compared to other units at that price. The Cyrus 8 and Cd8 are great bits of kit but the 6 series really lets itself down in comparison.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    The Exposure 2010 series components would be my favourites at the price. Now Exposure have cracked build quality, you can really enjoy their sound which is warm yet super rhythmic. Yet to decide between a 3010 or a PM17KI to replace my existing amp.

5. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    £1200 is a tight budget for these brands, see if you can get the cyrus 6 used for £450. That leaves you £750 for either a caspian Mk2 integrated or Rotel Pre/power combo (1050+1070). Should just be possible if you shop around.

DT

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Tons of fun,
    The 3010 is a lovely sounding amp, dynamic, smooth and of course plenty of power.
    A big step up from the 2010 in both quality of music and price. Rega Cursa Pre and EXON Power would sound stunning as well. A little more layed back but possibly slightly more musical.
    Tough choice you have....

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'd also agree on Exposure being the best £1200 setup, I couldn't beleive how intense the sound was from this amp, the roksan I demoed directly against it was more detailed but was boring in comparison to the exposure. Definately demo this one!

8. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Cyrus have just announced that the Cyrus 6 and 8 are getting upgraded to 6vs and 8vs from September. Details on the Cyrus website.

Moorgate are going to be selling off brand new 6's and 8's shortly for £450 and £600.

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    It is even more difficult if I explain it properly.....
    I love my CD player to bits and would be incredibly reluctant to change it. This means that I need to choose an amp that panders to its individualities (odd bass response, high output) without making my normal sounding equipment sound weird. The Marantz stays in contention because I get an excellent price on their gear and I know that the KI handles the Audio Note brilliantly (and it comes in black- something I still don't know about the Exposure) whilst I have only heard the Exposure in conjunction with other Exposure components.

It'll be a little while before I make the change. Expect a long and earnestly self justifying post to explain my decision when I do :).

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Tons of Fun,
    Hmmm, not very up on Marantz I know rega would not compliment it so that's out. By what you've said of the charctor of the CD player the exposure should work well. It is available in black. :)

11. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Well we'll see. I'm just going to have to persuade Mr Whittle to part with one of his babies on loan.

12. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Due to the cyrus upgrades there should be a lot of ex-demo/old/second hand kit going cheap. I recently bought a cyrus 3 and dad3q24 for a shade under £550 second hand and it's amazing. The dad3q24 is meant to be one of the best players that cyrus has ever made. I was sold on the looks alone really! How you can't like the little cyrus boxes is a mystery to me.

13. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Tom,

IMO Cyrus makes the 2nd ugliest HiFi kit in the world (after NAIM, of course). I think it looks cheap and SO 80's looking. YUK!

Never been massively impressed with their performance either. I think they're a *tad* over-rated (cue flames).

DT

14. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :eek: I love my little black boxes!

/comforts cyrus, it's ok don't listen to the bad man

:rotfl:

15. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    :laugh:

Guess I can't slag Cyrus kit off too much - I recently invested in a couple of ultra-dull looking rotel amps :rolleyes:

16. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Saya

A little of course here, but I would urge you to check out this combo :

Unison Research Unico & Denon 2900 Universal player, a slight shade over £1200 new rrp, but Unicos can be picked up for £600 ex-dem, Ive heard nothing but good vibes of this amplifer, in fact I know of audio users preffering it over Primares A30.1 (one for sale in the classfieds for £800 BTW superb amp) the reason Im suggesting spending more on the amp is that future upgrades will invariably mean you upgrade your CD source (I personally think the differences in CD between £500 – 1000 are quite small) having a 2900 which would eqaute to me as a £300 CD player, means you can enjoy both SACD & DVD-A besides CD, then you have a system which is perfectly placed for upgrades.

So spend more money on the amp just now at the price ranges you are looking at.

For example you could have a £800 A30.1 with a £400 Marantz 6000KI, that would be a nice combo IMHO. Also consider upping the amp quality in the combos you have suggested at the start, think of the future dude, its a mistake a lot of people foregt about that comes back to cost them more money in future.

17. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Can't comment on all of CJ's recommendations but the Unison is great- doens't work with my CD player but would be an excellent choice for those with more sensible units. Also rate the 6000KI although I wouldn't pay more than £300 unless the unit had never run. We have one in our office system and it is highly regarded by many people here.

18. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    What Hi Fi this month reviews the upgraded Cyrus 6vs and rave about it. The CD player is being checked out next month and should be just as good.

I bought myself a Roksan - I had an Audiolab before but it kept protecting itself as I listen VERY LOUD.

The Roksan seemed a good option as it had loads more power available but it did not offer me the drastic increase I was looking for.

That said its a great amp. I love listening to it. I am using a Marantz KI Signature Cd player into it and its driving a pair of B & W 603 series 2's and its a good sound, controlled bass etc but I was told that the Cyrus would actually give me a louder sound. It sounds fine at high levels... I warn you that my idea of high levels is probably other peoples version of Ear Drums exploding.

I think somewhere else someone has suggested the Cyrus 8's and if you can stretch that far I would do it.... Check out this months What Hifi as it reviews some of this kit. What speakers are you driving with it?

Andy C