1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus 6 v Cyrus 8

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by OldSkoO1, Sep 16, 2005.

1. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I changed my mind again after re-evaluating things :)

Im now seriously considering a Cyrus system and i'm activly looking for places to demo them. But i wondered if you could help with some things

I'm a little blinkered to the actual differences between the 6 series and the 8 series kit. I think its a good choice to get both the amp and the cd deck. But what are the main differences between 6 and 8 and is the 8 series worth getting instead? They seem to say in revews the 6 series is amazing, really well refined sound across the range if not perfect so i'm wondering if its really that good what has the 8 series got to build upon.

Also i'm wondering which speakers would go well, i'm thinking maybe the quad 12L's to warm things up a little. I've posted in the speakers forum too as i'm looking to demo soon :) I just wished i could connect the speakers to my denon 500 amp for movie use fl/fr. :s

TIA!

2. music1st

music1st

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oldskool,

September's Hifi World mag has an article that discusses just that. They started with basic 6 series and worked up to X (i.e. 10) series. The upgrade path they recommended looked like this:

1. CD6s and 6vs.
    2. Add a Cyrus interconnect.
    3. Swap CD6s for CD8x.
    4. Add a PSX-R to CD8x.
    5. Add a DAC-X.
    6. Add a PSX-R to the DAC-X.

You'll notice they stick with the 6vs thoughout, as in their view the 8vs offers "better individual instrument and vocal performance" but "didn't have the same level of musical involvement".

To quote further, "the main difference between 6s and 8x are two toroidal transformers for the power supply with one transformer for the DACs/filter, two balanced differential DACs, electrical and digital outputs and PSX-R upgradeability".

Personally I think Cyrus has so much to offer. It looks good, works well, holds it's value, is easy to upgrade and above all else sounds more musical and transparent that kit I've listened to at twice the price. I hope to take delivery of mine next week and can't wait.

Regarding speakers, I've listened to so many combinations over the past few months. What type of music do you like and what's your overall budget?

3. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thank you very much for posting this info! I did listen to both versions of kit this weekend.

I did think the 8 series was more detailed and dynamic. It does seem very transparent to me which is a massive bonus. Doesn't seem to colour the sound at all which is what i want. However poor recordings are really noticable on this kit which shows its quality.

I did demo some Dynaudio's, some bookshelf and standers but i'm afraid the tonal balance wasn't my cup of tea. The detail is superb and every is opened up but it required some volume to reach that. The standers where too bassy for my living room.
    As soon as i heard the b&w 705's there was a massive improvement with such crisp detail and seperation. It sounds superb at all volumes which is ideal. Excellent definition and timing. The bass could drive a little better, but its very very tight. After all it is a bookshelf speaker. Its a good match for my ears at least.

The supplier music matters were excellent and helped me out loads which is what i was after and bought it there an then. They were verry reasonable with the deal too!

Cyrus is brilliant, very transparent and musical for the money. Needs careful speaker matching though to suit your needs. Everything you've said i totally agree with :)