1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyrus 2 Vs Cyrus 7?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by D-man, May 12, 2005.

1. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All,

You guys have always been really helpfull in the past so I thought I would tap your collective wisdom once again.

I've recently got hold of a Cyrus DAD3Q24 which i'm running through an old Cyrus 2 & PSX. This has proven to be a significant improvent over my NADC521BEE. The chap is also selling a Cyrus 7 and PSX-R for a reasonable price. So my first question is - is the Cyrus 7 much of an improvemnet over the Cyrus 2?

I have contacted Cyrus, and the Cyrus 2 I own has not been serviced in its lifetime, whereas the Cyrus 7 & PSX-R are both in mint condition. In a similar vein to the Quad thread below, would I be better spending my cash on a service for the "2" or spending a bit more and getting the "7"? BTW I am really happy with the punch of the "2".

Thanks for your advice.

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Perhaps a new DAC and a service for your "2"?

3. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    On the contrary, the DAC in the 3Q24 is absolutely fantastic, and the 7 is better than the 2, especially with the PSXR - however with the current s/h prices of the 6 and the 8, and the upgrade cost between the two, that'd be where money was going (if of course I didn't love my Quads to death ;) )
    P.S. www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk :)

Oh, and there's a cheap 3i on ebay :smashin:

4. RickJT

RickJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The c7 is great, I have one and also a c8 which is very good too.

With psxr its even better and will be a very decent step on from the c2. If you have been offered one at a good price, go for it. Will match well with the q24.

5. Samurray

Samurray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...I'd prob stick with the C2 and get it serviced - it has a great phono stage for an integrated. Some of this decision may depend on the version of Cyrus 2 you own though. The 3rd generation are supposed to be the better sounding. If you haven't already, maybe look here...

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/oldeworldehtml/cyrustwoamp.html

6. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the advice people.

RickJT - I was afraid you might say that! I am sorely tempted by the "7" and, aesthetically would make perfect partners with the DAD3Q24.

Samurray - I own the one in the link you provided. Which I think is the Mk3, but I'm not a vinyl man so the phono stage is of little use to me.

Another issue i'm considering is the age of the "2", I think the "7", being a lot newer, would provide more reliability in the long run (and a remote control!).

7. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 7 and PSX-R is meant to be a very good combo indeed, rivalling the new 8(vs). However, I think the sound will be a bit different. Aesthetically the newer models make sense, but you're probably not all that concerned about the looks. It would provide a better long term option imo, as it's more compatable with the newer cyrus power amps, and remote control is such a nice luxury, even if they're really cheap looking! If it's a later C2 that you have then a service might not actually give you any benefit. I phoned up cyrus when I was buying my C3 and DAD3Q24 and asked whether servicing would be worth it, they said if the kit was working that there is no point in sending it to them.

I would be interested also to hear what difference, if you go with the 7 + PSX-R, that the power supply makes to the DAD3.

8. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Your quite right Tom, if aesthetics were my number one concern I wouldn't have 2 gray bricks on my hi-fi rack!

I'm waiting for the guy to get back to me on a revised price, what he's now proposing is a little out of my league.

If it comes down to a reasonable price i'll keep you posted, but from other posts i've read it the PSX-R does seem to make quite a difference to the cdp.

9. RickJT

RickJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry d-man people always seem to suggest the more expensive option dont they!

I agree with tom, if its working, a service will not improve things. I guess its not like getting your car tuned/serviced when it usually comes back feeling a bit quicker!

PSXR will do great things with the q24 (quieter background and more refined treble) and also work very well, as you know, with amps like c2 c7.

If your deal for the c7 doesnt come through give me a shout, I may consider selling. Although...., it sounds great on my second system.

10. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Argh, I think I need to earn some big money over the summer and add PSX-Rs to my ever increasing list of kit to buy. Saying that though, I'd still be tempted to add a power amp to my 3... bah!

11. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's always the way with these threads Tom, the temptation is too great! I've decided to buy the C7 on its own and when funds allow get me one of those PSX-R's. And then possibly a smartpower for the C7 and then a PSX-R for the cdp and then a PSX-R for the T.V and one for the kettle ad infinitum ....

12. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LOL, perhaps I could boil water faster and smooth out the impurities a bit better. How many watts would a PSX-R add to my 750W microwave?

13. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Got the Cyrus 7 yesterday so I thought i'd share my findings with you all.

I was immediately struck by the stereo imaging - vocals were slap bang in the middle of the speakers and it was much easier to pin-point instruments in a "physical space". This sometimes wavered a bit with the Cyrus 2 especially if you weren't in the "sweet spot". The C7 also has a much more rounded presentation, the C2 was a really scooped sound (classic 80's really!) but this is much more even across the frequencies with a bit more room filling bass.

I'm also picking out quite a bit more detail, especially in busy sections in the music. The only criticism is that it doesn't quite have the grip/slam of the Cyrus 2 & PSX but this is a fair compromise for all the benefits, and something that can be rectified with psx-r/power amp in the future.

Once again your advice and comments have proven invaluable.

Cheers :smashin:

D-man

14. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Interesting description of the differences.
    I kind of expect the 7 to walk all over the 2, but your description implies that it's more "different in presentation" than necessarily better.
    Thoughts?

15. D-man

D-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think the 2 is heralded as somewhat of a classic and mainly for that reason, its unshakable grip on the music. Its not really a fair test as the 2 was with the PSX (which really firmed up the bottom end and tamed the high notes) and the 7 was stand-alone. But the 2 had a very hard sound which became fatiguing quite quickly (unbearable without the PSX IMO).

The 7 is a much more balanced and detailed with alot more bottom end. A noticeably better amp than the 2 in in all other respects.

16. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Cyrus 7 + PSXR and add a Smartpower + PSXR and that is still a stunning combination.. :)

Cheers
    John