1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cynical Question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by asimmd, Jun 4, 2005.

1. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi All
    I have been reading and learning? for a while now,and I've just been to our local Dixons to see the 42" Panasonic PD500 which the Wife has already agreed to us getting (thank you God).However;
    there are still a few thoughts that the PQ is best on a tubed TV,and this raises the question would it be better in the long term to get say a 36"Toshiba,which isn't sexy at all,or dive in and get the above named Plasma.
    Or to put it another way,how much worse is Plasma PQ compared to tubed PQ.
    Thank You
    Alan

2. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been thinking along the same lines and have come to the conclusion that you are not comparing like with like. I intended to get a 36" CRT, but when seen against a 42" plasma even the biggest CRTs seem so small. Also, 36" CRTs weigh a ton and are less suitable for a bedroom, when the time comes to replace them. Coupled with the new HD channels coming on stream from Sky next year, I think the time is now ripe to move from CRT to plasma.

3. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I second that, 36 inch CRTs are incredibly heavy sometimes and is best avoided as CRTs are past it imo as finding one with good geometry is mission impossible and when you do find that TV there a million and 1 other issues. I don't care if they can display low quality sources like Sky digital better than a plasma, what counts now is which will be the best tv in 2 years time when HD takes over and the next generation of consoles all support HD and that for certain will be plasma and LCDs so your real choice is whether you want a plasma or lcd and from what i take it you will be watching sky abit so go with the pv500 and when you fancy watching a DVD you can take advantage of the HDMI connection on the back of your plasma and watch your favouite films on High defination and relax knowing you made the right choice.

P.S. might be best going for the 37 inch model if PQ via sky does concern you, that way if its not quite good enough you won't have to suffer watching all 42 inches of it ;)

4. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    It took me 18 months of thinking about it before I finally bought a plasma screen to replace my 36" CRT (I still have it). Yes, there are some aspects of the CRT which may be slightly better than the plasma, but overall I much prefer to watch the plasma over the CRT.

5. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    At the end of the day size matters!

A 42" screen stops looking BIG after a few weeks getting used to it. The extra screen size more than compensates for the (slight) loss of quality over CRT.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    My old 28" Tosh WS flickered, the geometry was bad, the focus was poor at the screen edges, and the picture "ballooned" with brightness.

Happily, my 42" Hitachi plasma does none of these things :thumbsup: