Cyclone Primus HDMI MKV Media Player Enclosure Caddy Media Centre 1080P

My Cyclone is just over 1 year old, don't seem to be able to output via HDMI anymore. Can connect via component but obviously picture quality poor compared to HD. Originally the picture started cutting in & out. After jiggling the lead managed to get a picture. This lead me to presume the lead was faulty. On turning it on today can't get a picture at all. Have bought 3 new leads today (all £5 leads). The tv i normally use the Cyclone on get's no picture or sound. I've tried on 2 other tv's. I get intermittent picture & sound on both these tv's, the picture is very snowy. This a firmware or hardware issue?

My dad stopped getting a picture through the HDMI after he left the component leads in all the time. Removing the component leads solved the problem. Sounds like your issue is more serious than that though, but it might be a starting point.

Hi all,

Thinking of purchasing this but the audio and video sync problem a few people seem to be getting is putting me off. Is this worth purchasing?

The price is great and is the reason why i'd like to purchase, especially considering i can connect hard drives up to 2tb.

Has anyone had this over a year or two and not received any problems?

Thanks.

How long have you both owned the player? Do you use it frequently? By frequently i mean at least a couple of times a week?

Sounds good, might have to go get myself one of these then. £37 is a pretty decent price too.

Just a couple more questions if possible.

1.Does the player have any problems playing .MKV files or any other file type?

2.Is pretty much any HDD compatible? Planning to use a Seagate Barrucuda 72000.10 320gb.

And a more general Media player question:

3.Do media players work with any tv that has a USB port? I'm planning on using a Sony Bravia tv, that without a media player can play a limited (extremely) number of files.

Thanks again for all the help, very much appreciated.

Last edited:
The only issue I had with it is that it doesn't support 5.1 over hdmi but does via coax, I connect mine to an av receiver via hdmi and using the the coax for audio. Any 3.5 HDD will be fine so long as it is NTFS or fat formatted.
And it's played everything I've thrown at it.

I have had mine about 2 years and it gets used every day. The wife pulled a face when I bought it, but now loves the thing.

1.Does the player have any problems playing .MKV files or any other file type?

I've had odd files that only play up to a certain point and then stop, file types seem random. It has played 99.9% of files I've thrown at it, including MKV's.

2.Is pretty much any HDD compatible? Planning to use a Seagate Barrucuda 72000.10 320gb.

I've had 2 SATA drives in mine: a 1TB and then a 1.5 TB. At some point I will replace the 1.5 and put a 2 TB in it. I think it only takes up to 2 TB and I would recommend putting in a 2Tb drive if you can pick one up cheaply, as 320gb would be not last long if you intend to keep media stuff.

3.Do media players work with any tv that has a USB port? I'm planning on using a Sony Bravia tv, that without a media player can play a limited (extremely) number of files.

This player has component and HDMI out. I might be wrong, but if you connected via the USB, the the telly would pick it up as an external drive and still use the telly's own media playing software for the files...meaning you would be no better off.

The only issue I had with it is that it doesn't support 5.1 over hdmi but does via coax, I connect mine to an av receiver via hdmi and using the the coax for audio. Any 3.5 HDD will be fine so long as it is NTFS or fat formatted.
And it's played everything I've thrown at it.

Overall it sounds like a very decent piece of kit, especially for the price. The fact that it does not play 5.1 could be a bit of an issue but as you've suggested an alternative i guess i can overlook that slight hindrance.

Thanks for responding, will continue to have a look round for alternatives just to make sure no better player is available within my budget but it's looking very likely that i will go ahead with the cyclone after the info you've given.

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
This player has component and HDMI out. I might be wrong, but if you connected via the USB, the the telly would pick it up as an external drive and still use the telly's own media playing software for the files...meaning you would be no better off.

Really? Then that changes things completely. Isn't the whole point of a media player to play files that your tv cannot? If it can only play files that the tv is limited to then there is no point in buying it.

Really? Then that changes things completely. Isn't the whole point of a media player to play files that your tv cannot? If it can only play files that the tv is limited to then there is no point in buying it.

You connect to your tv via hdmi. it will play anything. Connecting it by USB will see the media player as an external drive.

Connecting by USB would defeat the object of buying a media player that had it's own video output.

Last 2 questions regarding this player:

1. Can you format your HDD in the player in order for it to become compatible or must you format it on your PC first?
2. My PS3 has problems playing files that have ReFrames over 5. Will this be the case with this player, or can it play 5 frames?

Thank you.

Yea, that is the new version.

I got the kids a V1 2 years ago and it was perfect once the firmware upgrade came out.
It broke about 4 weeks ago (power supply went) and I ugprade them to the V2 and swapped the HDD over.

It does do 5.1 via HDMI or Coax.

It plays EVERYTHING I have chucked at it, its a great device, plug in power and HDMI lead and it just works.

for the price its perfect, else look at a N40L microserver with XBMC but the cost is alot more.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

And when inserting the hdd, does the player automatically format the drive?

The reason i ask is because i have two options when deciding which hdd i will connect to the player. One is a 500gb WD drive that i currently have in my dvd recorder.And the other is a spare seagate (that has invaluable data on) that i would have to install into a PC (which i'm not too sure how to do) and then format from there.

Just inserting the drive and having the player format the drive itself would make things significantly easier on me.

oh right, thats simple enough then.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Can someone who has a cyclone v2 please do me a favour. I have uploaded a file that has trouble playing on my ps3 (i get sound but no picture), so i have cut it and uploaded it to putlocker and was just hoping someone could download and test it out on their cyclone. The clip is only 50mbs and is of a nat geo documentary. From what i understand the issue why the ps3 does not play this clip is due to the 5 ref frames.

http://www.putlocker.com/file/23EC05317674830A

The download link is below the video stream.

Thank you.

Anyone, please?

Whether the player can play this file is pretty much the deciding factor.

Last bump.

Please, would be much appreciated. Whether i buy this device hangs on whether it can play the above file. It's only a small file, 50mbs.

Please, anyone?

@spp I'm buying one of these next week, I'll try out the file for you if you still need someone to? Or have you taken the plunge already?

Thanks mate that would be great. Not taken the plunge yet, still dependent on whether it can handle 5 reframe video files.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom