Cyclone Primus HDMI MKV Media Player Enclosure Caddy Media Centre 1080P

Whats the difference between this £36 model and this £95 model (http://www.envizage.com/products/2000p-cyclone-primus-2000gb-hdmi-mkv-media-player-hard-drive.html)? I'm after an mkv player with high memory storage 2TB is great. One which I can connect to my TV and play the mkvs on the player (Need to be capable of 1080P blurays). Quite confused with these mkv players lol :S.

BTW I'm currently using a 6500-a (borrowing it), I want one which is capable of the exact same stuff but 2TB instead of 1TB.

Last edited:
These still the best/cheapest option around for sticking a large hd in and sticking in a spare room for the kids ?

I think this is still the best out there
Although the one that I got for my inlaws is causing problems - only since i upgraded the firmware. They haven't given me specifics - but it seems to be freezing up.

Anyone else had issues? anyone know where i can revert to the old firmware from?

Hi, having formatted my Primus in Windows, my Primus now shows 'The destination is read-only', when I try to put media files onto it, I have tried to enable write on it in Windows and Linux Suse without success, please could someone help me enable write to my Primus, so I can put media upon it.

Thanks for your time.:blush:

I've just bought one of these...

Cant get it to recognise in Windows 7 when plugged into usb to put files on hard drive.

Its got a 2TB hard drive installed this drive can be seen when hooked up to P.C via SATA but not when in the Cyclone enclosure. Could we have a dud?

I've just bought one of these...

Cant get it to recognise in Windows 7 when plugged into usb to put files on hard drive.

Its got a 2TB hard drive installed this drive can be seen when hooked up to P.C via SATA but not when in the Cyclone enclosure. Could we have a dud?

Have you got the enclosure plugged into the mains, and turned on by powering on through the remote (i.e. blue LED light is on, it won't work if it's in standby).

Have you got the enclosure plugged into the mains, and turned on by powering on through the remote (i.e. blue LED light is on, it won't work if it's in standby).

Fixed it - didn't realise I had to power it up to get it to work :facepalm:
What video settings should I use? My MakeMKV rips seem juddery and not smooth when playing back over HDMI to my Panasonic TX32LZD85. T.V is 1080p so have tried each 24hz, 50hz and 60hz @1080p and all of them seem to stutter and judder.

For people saying this is on par with a Blu-Ray player i dont see how if it cant even play back videos smoothly.

Also if I set it to say HDMI 1080p 50hz watch a film turn it off and come back to it later it always defaults back to HDMI 720p 60hz surely it should be retaining settings?

Any tips?

Cyclone Primus

Try updating the firmware from the above page. The link is not clearly obvious, but it's the picture that says DTS. It may help improve MKV playback.

I have already updated the firmware...

Will try another film when I've added a few more films to it.

What settings are you using?

If I do 24hz and activate 24p on my T.V the audio is about 3 seconds out of sync?? 60Hz is the worst for stuttering and 50Hz seems to be the best for my 100hz T.V

Or maybe I should use a different file other than .mkv for my rips?

I have a 32" 720p tv, so mainly choose default or change it to 720p 50hz. If I play back my Sony AVCHD mts files I change it to 1080i otherwise leave it at 720p. I mainly use it to watch MKVs from the net (mixture of 1080p and 720p depending if I want to keep the file or save disk space), and not had a issue so far. The only problem I've had is that it wont play 1080p50fps files from my camcorder although it can play 1080p25p or 720p50p files from same camcorder with ease. Sorry not tried converting any files to mkv myself.

I have a 32" 720p tv, so mainly choose default or change it to 720p 50hz. If I play back my Sony AVCHD mts files I change it to 1080i otherwise leave it at 720p. I mainly use it to watch MKVs from the net (mixture of 1080p and 720p depending if I want to keep the file or save disk space), and not had a issue so far. The only problem I've had is that it wont play 1080p50fps files from my camcorder although it can play 1080p25p or 720p50p files from same camcorder with ease. Sorry not tried converting any files to mkv myself.

The whole point is that this up scales files to whatever you set the output to?

Would just rather not have to keep changing it every time I turn it on.

I'm only using it to play back DVD rips I have made.

Edit...

I think it reverts back to 720p as these files are only DVD rips and not HD rips? Is this the case?

Last edited:
guys are any of these sumvision cyclones any good? Looking to play mostly mkv's / br rips with various audios !!!

Like the idea of flash menu's but its not a must

Hi all
I have just bought one of these units my problem is i have connected the device to my PC ( no problems there ) and to my TV with a hdmi cable but while still connected to my PC the player will not allow me to access the media files to play its only displaying cyclone primus page .

HELP PLEASE:lease:

afaik, that's the way it works right? either the pc side, or the media player side needs exclusive access to the drive?

last time i tried mine did the same thing. maybe i'm missing something too though

Is anyone ripping DVD's to play back on their Primus HD?

All 95 of my dvd's ripped with MakeMKV stutter and sound goes well out of sync.

Any suggestions on another file format to use?

or program?

Thanks

Dan

I have a cyclone primus with a 2tb hard drive, the only problem been is that the list of films does not come up in alphabetical order, they are all jumbled up. Does anyone have any ideas ?

I have a cyclone primus with a 2tb hard drive, the only problem been is that the list of films does not come up in alphabetical order, they are all jumbled up. Does anyone have any ideas ?

Upgrade the firmware :D

Bought the Cyclone Primus for my parents last year and they've had great use of it. They have just bought a sound system though, a Panasonic sc-btt370. Using the HDMI cable I can only get 2.1 sound through the system.

I bought a digital optical cable as I thought that might solve it, but that doesn't seem to work at all. I've upgraded the FW to v1.01, and selected the audio as SPDIF in the settings menu, but this doesn't produce any sound at all. I have searched the forums and some posts suggested that you could pass through the sound via the TV, by connecting the media player directly to the TV and an optical cable from the TV to the sound system. No joy either!

Please someone help as I've spent a few hours trying out different configurations and I'm at a loss.

@sam_41 you say that you bought a digital optical cable. Should you have not of gotten a digital coax cable? I have also received one of these today as a present, I updated to the latest firmware but can still only receive 2.1 through hdmi connected to my Sony dh800 receiver. Shouldn't this thing be able to handle 6ch passthrough over hdmi?

Last edited:
Is there any way to recover these from a bad flash? I managed to get one for next to nothing on Ebay in this state, but I don't see how to put it into firmware recovery, seeing as there's no power button to hold down.

Anyone?
:(

I've worked out there's some unimplemented pins on the MB that would've worked as on/off buttons. Obviously thought I'd cracked it, but bridging the on pins while plugging it in hasn't worked.
There must be a way though!

...can't seem to find this anywhere in specs.

ISO format (DVD Shrink ect) ... does it play them..... ?

Nope. Just use hand break to convert to Mkv.

No real need for Isos these days.

Nope. Just use hand break to convert to Mkv.

No real need for Isos these days.
#

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've got over 200 dvd's ripped to ISO and some MKV.

I'm certainly not going to convert all my ISO's to MKV ....

Please answer my question if possible : Does this model support ISO format ?

Whether I or millions of others use ISO's is not your problem.....

It's not my problem, but I was passing some constructive help. Along with the fact I have one of these devices sat Infront of me. And was going to test it for you, to confirm, what I thought.

Not many out the box players support Iso format and those who do, struggle from what I have found in the past, hence converting all mine. Took a while but makes finding a media player so much easier these days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom