Cyclone Primus HDMI MKV Media Player Enclosure Caddy Media Centre 1080P

I agree that this unit is a great bedroom unit if solely connected to a TV via HDMI, but then why increase the size and provide the extra funcionality ports and then effectively disable them again in software?

It is more likely something that slipped through the net.

I am surprised it even had SPDIF tbh.

If you want LAN, TrueHD audio etc, pay more and dont be so tight.

Quite agree if you want the above, I on the other hand just want it to output lossy DD & dts without downmixing it to stereo. When that happens, this really will be a tremendous player at this price :D

Keep us all updated please guys :smashin:

I have just made the mistake of trying a 1.5TB Samsung Spinpoint F2 in this. It listed the HD but when selected it reset the machine after a brief freeze.

All the data seems to have been corrupted and it cannot now be seen when connected to a PC, either by USB or direct by SATA. I am not sure yet if the Primus has phsically damaged the drive. The pc sees the drive but cannot access it, giving 'drive is not accessible, file or directory is corrupted' type messages. None of my partition recovery programs can resolve it and chkdsk will not run. A format may sort it out, but I have not resorted to that yet as I find it hard to believe that simply turning on the Primus has irrecoverably lost all of the data.

Be careful what you put into this unit - make sure it is only backed up files!

found an issue,

one i cant really get my head round.

now i have all my dvds in video_ts folders, with vobs inside split into about a gb each..

now, when playing the first vob in the list, the player does carry on to the second, and third etc so you get to see the whole film, BUT the screen goes blank for a second or two from end of each vob and start of the next!!!

HOW do i get around this?

re-encode all my vobs into one file?

basically this player cant seemlessly transition between vob files!

how do you guys play dvd's?

apparently it cant see iso's either.. so joining the 1gb vobs into one big file for all my 400 movies seems the only option?

Does this down mix DTS to stereo for those that just watch videos through HDMI to telly speakers (2.0)?

Also should I go for Cyclone Primus or Sumvision Cyclone Micro Media Player 2?

Are they any major different between the 2, I only need 720p (DTS) files working to be honest and AVCHD for my Sony HD cam.

Last edited:
Does this down mix DTS to stereo for those that just watch videos through HDMI to telly speakers (2.0)?

Yes - 2 channel audio is output via HDMI from a DTS source (though I am not clear on the 'quality' of the downmixing, but it will be adequate for TV purposes).

Any opinions on the vob issue I've mentioned guys?

And yes the dts to stereo is great! :)

I would just use handbreak or makemkv to make them a single avi or mkv

I done this and it makes life a lot easier.

Okay so should I go for Cyclone Primus or Sumvision Cyclone Micro Media Player 2

I burn copies off for family / friends so they need to stay as DVD files..

ill just find a good vob joiner n give a couple a test...

I would just use handbreak or makemkv to make them a single avi or mkv

I done this and it makes life a lot easier.

well... this is all becoming a bit cumbersome..

ive joined a dvd's vobs together, now i have 1 x 4gb.vob

it plays perfectly on the media player :D but now i cant burn that back to a disc if i needed to..

Does anyone have any ideas?

ok, make one .VOB, then use IFOEDIT to make new ifo's.. :)

now all i goto do is the same for 400 other DVD's.

See ya next week :(

grrrr I give up lol

once burned to dvd, they dont run on any dvd player here.. :(

There is no point in putting DVD files on this as the handling is extremely basic and clumsy. The hardware side is great but the software side does not mirror this.

There is no point in putting DVD files on this as the handling is extremely basic and clumsy. The hardware side is great but the software side does not mirror this.

so its a media player that cant deal with the worlds biggest most popular type of files.. DVD's

jeebus

WDTV here i come

Wdtv don't handle menus correctly on DVDs from what I recall, and need an external hd too. Kids also struggle understanding vobsvetc

These are nice one trick boxes. Loaded a 1tb drive and it's set for crimbo for the kids

Wdtv don't handle menus correctly on DVDs from what I recall, and need an external hd too. Kids also struggle understanding vobsvetc

These are nice one trick boxes. Loaded a 1tb drive and it's set for crimbo for the kids

im not bothered about menus, i take most out, but id like to be able to click play on the first .VOB and it carry on to play the rest of the film

the Win7 media center just shows the folder names (not the video_ts folder inside), and you just click the name of the film and it plays flawlessly..

The Wdtv is not that easy for vobs

I would look for a cheap popcorn or a dedicated htpc like a revo

I have been playing back vob files flawlessy on the Primus? For one single vob file the easiest way is to download DVDShrink 'freeware'

Download DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15 (freeware) - AfterDawn: Software downloads

Install it, load your DVD Files or iso etc. Click on settings and make sure you untick split vob into 1GB files.

Then exit setting click on reauthor dvd drag over the main film only, select compression none, select the audio and subtitle tracks you want to keep. Then start the program takes about a minute on my PC to save it into 1 VOB file.. Really easy to do and to be honest I like the option of removing all the bits I don't want anyway i'e menu, foreign language and subs.. Very easy method and works 100%

Hope that helps somebody..

I have been playing back vob files flawlessy on the Primus? For one single vob file the easiest way is to download DVDShrink 'freeware'

Download DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15 (freeware) - AfterDawn: Software downloads

Install it, load your DVD Files or iso etc. Click on settings and make sure you untick split vob into 1GB files.

Then exit setting click on reauthor dvd drag over the main film only, select compression none, select the audio and subtitle tracks you want to keep. Then start the program takes about a minute on my PC to save it into 1 VOB file.. Really easy to do and to be honest I like the option of removing all the bits I don't want anyway i'e menu, foreign language and subs.. Very easy method and works 100%

Hope that helps somebody..

yes, it plays 1 single vob of the whole film fine..

I had an issue earlier that when i burned that vob to disc, that it wouldnt run in any of my house dvd players..

sorted now though thanks to DVDshrink, so thanks for that ::clap:

dudeygeeza

This is simpler than you think

I have had Sumvision stuff before and what you have to do is make an iso of the disc.
Rip your files onto you hard drive
Open imgburn and it will say "Make image from files/folders"
Choose all the root folders and files and it will ask you what to save it as (drop down menu shows ".iso")
Name it what you like and save it to your Sumvision drive
It will see it as a mounted dvd disc

When you want to burn the image
Open Imgburn and choose "Write imsge to disc"
Choose the iso file and you have a newly burned dvd

Anyone having problems with WMV files? All of mine, at some point, just stop playing and the machine skips to the next file in the list. I'm using a 1.5TB Samsung formatted to NTFS. Everything else seems to work just fine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom