Cyclone Primus HDMI MKV Media Player Enclosure Caddy Media Centre 1080P

Headachegr

Novice Member
Anyone knows if this puppy can handle exFAT formated HDDs?? I want to install an internal Samsung HD103UJ 500GB and it would be great for me if I was able to format it in exFAT format...

Headachegr

Novice Member
Anyone knows if this puppy can handle exFAT formated HDDs?? I want to install an internal Samsung HD103UJ 500GB and it would be great for me if I was able to format it in exFAT format...

Well, I just got mine today and for the record, the answer is YES it can handle exFAT formated HDDs both as internal OR external drives...

BlueStreak

Standard Member
I've had this media player for just over a year... and I'm not totally impressed. It's a good media player, plays a lot of formats, great picture and sound quality through HDMI... but I have so many issues with it since the day I bought it.

The main problem is MKV capabilities... or lack of. While it does play MKV files to an extent, it has trouble playing them. Some of the time, it plays them well... most of the time, I'll get audio but NO video... or I'll get video but NO audio, or the MKV just won't play at all.

Another major problem I have, which is never ending, is it randomly stops playing a video, then skips to the next one. Ill be half-way through a video, when all of a sudden, the video will stop and move on to the next... ***?

And this is getting worse, as it's starting to do it to videos it's never done it to before.

Plus... I'm STILL waiting for a firmware that adds an OPTION menu, instead of having the Options and Settings buttons do the SAME thing.

tommy888

Standard Member
I've had this media player for just over a year... and I'm not totally impressed. It's a good media player, plays a lot of formats, great picture and sound quality through HDMI... but I have so many issues with it since the day I bought it.

The main problem is MKV capabilities... or lack of. While it does play MKV files to an extent, it has trouble playing them. Some of the time, it plays them well... most of the time, I'll get audio but NO video... or I'll get video but NO audio, or the MKV just won't play at all.

Another major problem I have, which is never ending, is it randomly stops playing a video, then skips to the next one. Ill be half-way through a video, when all of a sudden, the video will stop and move on to the next... ***?

And this is getting worse, as it's starting to do it to videos it's never done it to before.

Plus... I'm STILL waiting for a firmware that adds an OPTION menu, instead of having the Options and Settings buttons do the SAME thing.

That sounds like a corrupt HDD. If not, a faulty unit.

docwho

Standard Member
Hi Any one using this to play audio files.I find mp3s to be ok, but flac files only plays one at a time then stop.Any one else notice this .

liverlee

Standard Member

I'm having the same problem, have got the primus with built in 2TB hd, tried formatting it but same thing happens.

Have a new problem now. Bought a panasonic viera 37" led tv last week but when I play a movie back through the primus, if its a dark scene, the screen goes so dark its unwatchable. When I watch same files through ps3 it plays at the correct brightness. Am now thinking of getting rid and buying a WD media player.

JDCFH

Novice Member
The Primus its awful. Had mine for about a week and sent it back. It can't play .mkv without video and audio sync issues. It is cheap and nasty.

Got a Dune. Amazing bit of kit.

internetuser

I have had one 18 months along with 3 mates and have had none of these problems. It plays everything perfectly. From loads of different sources of media.

JDCFH

Novice Member
internetuser said:
I have had one 18 months along with 3 mates and have had none of these problems. It plays everything perfectly. From loads of different sources of media.

What media sources?

I tried various file types and it couldn't even play back with a smooth frame rate. Picture would judder and doing would go out of sync.

Wasn't impressed with it at all.

JDCFH

Novice Member
internetuser said:
As in.self rips and Internet downloads

It sounds like your hard drive in the unit is gone.

Mine were a mix of self rips and internet like yours. Tried re-ripping in other formats the lot. Updated the firmware.

Unit was brand new so doubt the hard drive was knackered. Sent it back for refund and bought a Dune. Not one problem plays anything and everything flawlessly.

Last edited:

liverlee

Standard Member
My cyclone primus plays everything perfectly, no stuttering or jumpy out of synch audio, but it will sometimes just stop playing a file and move onto the next file. It happens with avi and mkv's. It is only 6 months old and I've tried formatting it and firmware upgrades but it still happens.

The latest issue, ie screen going dark/black when there is a dark scene on my new tv, is the final straw.

liverlee

Standard Member
I thought it was as it worked fine with 2 older tv's but I have played the same files through my ps3 on the new tv without any problem. I've ordered a wd hd media player off ebay for £45 so hopefully that will be ok, any excuse for a new gadget.

BlueStreak

Standard Member
My cyclone primus plays everything perfectly, no stuttering or jumpy out of synch audio, but it will sometimes just stop playing a file and move onto the next file. It happens with avi and mkv's. It is only 6 months old and I've tried formatting it and firmware upgrades but it still happens.

Ooh.. so I'm not the only one this is happening to? Interesting. If it weren't for these kind of playback issues, the occasional audio/video de-sync and failure to play many MKV files, it wouldn't be a bad piece of kit.

These problems stop it from being a cheap, but decent piece of hardware.

I hope Sumvision continue to support the Primus for a while, with another firmware update soon, maybe they can liven up the menus a bit.. they're a bit bland.

jonny998

Novice Member
Just a quick question or two for those of you who already have one of these players.
I understand that when playing an iso image the audio is downmixed to stereo only.Does this mean that if I convert a DVD to a single VOB file (I use dvdshrink-I only want the movie)with 5.1 sound then this player will only give me stereo, the same as it does for the whole iso image ?
If this is the case I guess I would need to find a program to convert to MKV to get the full 5.1.I do have the full version of fairusewizard that has a x264 setting which I believe is a version of MKV but have not yet tried this setting- would this give me 5.1 with this player?

Thanks in advance for any help.

tomos

Standard Member
can't help, sorry, but have my own Q for people

any way to stop this from spinning down the drive? if you leave it alone for a while (turned on still) mine spins the drive down which is annoying.

jjaapa

Standard Member
Hi
Since I upgraded the FW, when I click on say -return- or -stop- I go back to the root of the hard disk.
Does anyone saw this?
regards

john

up4fun

Standard Member
Hi all

If you get to read this I have just purchase one of these units and was wondering if it comes with all of these updates? Or should I do a firmware update anyway to be sure that I have the latest?

Also whats the best way to do this?

mungosdad

hello all,
as I cant get my laptop to output 5.1 sound via HDMI, I'm thinking of getting one of these media players
Cyclone Primus 1000GB 1Tb HDMI MKV Media Player | Sumvision | Buy Online Now!

can those of you who have one of these answer the following for me:

1) I will be connecting to a Yamaha RX-V673 via HDMI and mainly playing MKV x264 DTS or Dolby Digital files, will I need to connect an optical or coax cable for 5.1 DTS or will the HDMI be enough?

2) I have a Western Digital passport 320gb portable hard drive, can I plug into usb and play files from it and can it copy from the portable hard drive onto its internal hard drive.

many thanks

jMiR

Standard Member
I have one 3TB hdd in my computer amongst other capacities. Just wondering if the Cyclone will be getting an update to support larger drives as we move forward and the drives get larger.

Namco

Standard Member
My Cyclone is just over 1 year old, don't seem to be able to output via HDMI anymore. Can connect via component but obviously picture quality poor compared to HD. Originally the picture started cutting in & out. After jiggling the lead managed to get a picture. This lead me to presume the lead was faulty. On turning it on today can't get a picture at all. Have bought 3 new leads today (all £5 leads). The tv i normally use the Cyclone on get's no picture or sound. I've tried on 2 other tv's. I get intermittent picture & sound on both these tv's, the picture is very snowy. This a firmware or hardware issue?

lenny81

Novice Member
Sounds like the hdmi connection on the main board has worked itself loose. You disconnect the hdmi a lot before this happened? If so and you're any good at soldering try a resolder.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett