Cycles and lights

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dUnKle, Aug 5, 2013.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    I'm not a huge cyclist but it is my main way of getting to and from work as I can't drive
    Recently my town council had seen fit to turn off all the street lights from midnight do when I finish at 1 or later its pitch black.

Without a light I can't even see the front tyre !
    Sadly though the ones I do have only really go as far as the front wheel, maybe a bit further
    I'm after a couple of front lights, one to light the road and one to light the way ahead.
    Something that could go a good distance forward and have good width, three cars or so, to prevent any near missed

What should I be looking for

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
  3. xox Godders xox

xox Godders xox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Check out the Cree lights on ebay. There are loads of ridiculously cheap, ridiculously bright Chinese LED lights around these days. I have a couple of 900 lumen jobs that cost about a tenner each and they've lasted a couple of winters daily commuting along unlit cycle path and they're still going strong.

Just don't be one of those idiots who point them dead ahead blinding everyone travelling in the opposite direction!

4. p1tse

p1tse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    900 lumens!

I was checking lezyne ones as one of the retailers had them offer, but still very pricey

5. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Have you got a linkage please?

6. Eric

Eric
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,199
    Something like these here.

7. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    Cheers all

8. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,989
    I was just trying to find out exactly what a 'lumen' is, as I didn't know. Sure, I know how fast 30mph is, and how far away 100 metres is. I even know what a litre of water looks like, but a lumen? Hmm, luckily, I found this easy to understand explanation on wikipedia:

Explanation

If a light source emits one candela of luminous intensity uniformly across a solid angle of one steradian, the total luminous flux emitted into that angle is one lumen (1 cd·1 sr = 1 lm). Alternatively, an isotropic one-candela light-source emits a total luminous flux of exactly 4π lumens. If the source were partially covered by an ideal absorbing hemisphere, that system would radiate half as much luminous flux—only 2π lumens. The luminous intensity would still be one candela in those directions that are not obscured.

Okay then, everyone got that? Great :)

9. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    I went for a couple of 400 lumen ones ( my current one is not even a 100 from what can see )
    They claim to be focusable allowing for wider or thinner beams

I really want want wide ahead and one thin and slightly more towards the ground
    So went for two

10. Robothamster

Robothamster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,356
    I have one of these myself and it's great for the money. I have a disused railway track converted into a trail near me and last winter rode in the pitch black down there and this light lit the whole trail up perfectly.

11. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +717
    Years ago I fitted my cycle with "car" accessory lights (branded Ring);- a reversing light as headlight and a rear foglamp as a rear light, fitted with 20W and 5W bulbs, powered from a 12v lead-acid (emergency lighting or portable VCR) battery.
    Later the rear light was replaced with an LED high-level brakelight. I expect if I was using it now I would fit a LED bulb in the front lamp.
    I used to ride unlit country lanes to/from shiftwork ie. 5:30am and 10pm, the system lit the road very well.

12. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
  13. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +783
    That is similar to what I do.I cycle all year round on unlit countryside trails. No cars allowed!! Once or twice a week in the winter I would come across the odd late night walker or jogger in the pitch black. They would get dazzled by sudden appearance with my modern LED lights and on occasions complain about them.

I fixed all that by having two lights and run them like you would for a car. High beam when i am the only one around and I quickly switch to just the one on dipped beam if I see someone ahead. Nobody has complained for a long time now and I can can run with the best visibility on the cycle paths when its just me around, which is 95% of the time.

I do miss my head torch though, which was very good at illuminating deep pot holes and much better for the corners, but sadly rather more difficult to avoid dazzling oncoming walkers and joggers.

14. 3T3L1

3T3L1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I think Rhod Gilbert explains the situation well (note - Youtube link with some swearing) :)

Torch with the power of a million candles Rhod...

15. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,322
    I've got this Cateye set as I just wanted regular batteries rather than having to worry about keeping a pack charged. The front light throw out a weak wide beam together with a spot. I've found it fine for leisurely road use but you'd want more for off-road or travelling at speed.

The rear has two banks of LEDs with each bank separately switched. On each bank you can have all lit, all flashing simultaneously, sweeping side to side Knight Rider style or random flashing. There are LEDs on the ends as well to improve side on visibility.