CyberHome AD-L528 - worthless piece of crap

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stuart Wright, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,521
    Bought one of these for the mother-in-law last year. Just swapped it for our cheapo Chinese import 'Nicole' DVD player I had blagged a while back. I swapped because mother-in-law's telly is PAL only and she has trouble working the menu (too complicated). The 'Nicole' replacement is simpler to operate.
    So I've had chance to evaluate the Cyberhome AD-L528, and the it has a cheap, crappy output stage which means it has trouble with high contrast items. It produces a horrible wavey effect in the picture. E.g. in the Blade II menu.
    Also when the screen flashes (e.g. explosions, Star Wars blaster effects), it jumps with a green vertical line appearing for an instant while the circuitry recovers.
    Also it occasionally stutters and freezes with picture break up which is incredibly infuriating.
    Lastly, and ending on a positive note, it's build is quite solid and it doesn't disintegrate when hurled out of a second floor window onto a slabbed patio below. The unit is rendered scrap, but only broke into 2 parts. Yes I lot my temper and trashed it.
    I would not recommend this DVD player to anyone.
    The £30 cheaper Acoustic Solutions DVD651 from Richer sounds - currently playing Blade with no problems is much better in my opinion.

2. mattruston

mattruston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol
    i wouldn't want to spend less than £300 on a dvd player anyway :D

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Spectre, perhaps you could call in to the What Hi-Fi offices and hurl a few reviewers out of the window as well :D.