Cyber link advisor has my screen wrong

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NaTT, Dec 30, 2006.

1. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    been trying to see if my PC is HD-DVD / BD ready using Cyberlink's advisor programme...
    I've a 7800GTX (256mb I think) and a Dell 2407 FPW monitor which is HDCP compliant.

It says the display connection type is "digital (without HDCP)" so has this as red.
    But my Graphics card is listed as "OK" (allbeit with an upgrade recommended for performance, cheeky so and sos, this PC plays 1080p no probs).

So what gives? Do I need a Graphics card with HDCP capabilities then, or is the tool wrong?
    If I've to spend money on a new card when this 1 year old £400 card isn't yet stretched much by most games, my money's going on newsgroup subscriptions and hard discs!

2. badbob

badbob
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    Sod that (I mean don't buy a new graphics card)

Just get around HDCP. Or write a letter to Nvidia and RIAA that you will not buy new hardware just to play movies.

I'm in a similar situation, granted I could buy a new graphics card (DVI out) on the HTPC (Nvidia 6150 IGP) but why should I? It's far lower spec card than yours but it plays HD fine, and a £300 graphics card isn't required for HD playback. I do have a HDCP capable display (42")but not on the computing side (20") No way am I going to replace the X1900XT if movies refuse to play.

Perhaps the studios should give out HDCP free monitors and HDCP capable videocards.

It's like selling cars, and car makers making them stop working because it's several years old.