Question CX eARC sound glitch

nosuchthingasa

Standard Member
I have a good quality cable running from the eARC HDMI port on my new 48" CX to my EDGE A HDMI ARC input. The sound quality is excellent, but I keep getting sound dropouts two or three times an hour. The sound cuts out for maybe a millisecond, very brief but noticeable.

If I play tv sound via the analogue audio out jack via the amplifier, there is no sound glitch. None of the other sources on the amplifier have the glitch. There is no sound problem when using the internal LG speakers.

So, does anyone have any advice on how to troubleshoot this (very minor, but niggling) problem?

I will also be emailing Cambridge Audio to see if they have any ideas.

Thanks.

dante01

Distinguished Member
What determines that you supposed "high quality" cable isn't at fault? Who says it is a high quality xable? I'd suggest you at least try a differenct cable before blaming either the TV or the AV receiver.

I cannot guarantee that the issue is cable related, but most issues similar to your are invariable resolved by using different cables.

It should also be noted that quality isn't determined by price when it comes to HDMI cables. Some of the cheapest cables are in fact some of the most reliable.

nosuchthingasa

Standard Member
What determines that you supposed "high quality" cable isn't at fault? Who says it is a high quality xable? I'd suggest you at least try a differenct cable before blaming either the TV or the AV receiver.
The cable is a brand new Audioquest Chocolate cable. I asked Richer Sounds to "throw a couple in" when I paid over £5K for my new amp and 4K Blu-ray player. I didn't realise until now that they charged me £99 each for the two cables. Talk about a fool and his money. Anyway, I will swap it out. It that turns out to be the problem, I'll be paying RS another visit.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd not count the fact that the cables originate from AudioQuest as being any reassurance that the issue isn't cable related.

Try Amazon's own BASICS HDMI cables. They are both reliable and cheap ;)

There are also a multitude of certified PREMIUM options now avaible for well under £10.

Last edited:

nosuchthingasa

Standard Member
Try Amazon's own BASICS HDMI cables. They are both reliable and cheap ;)
Four out of five of my HDMI cables are Amazon Basics.

I removed the AudioQuest cable and noticed that it had directional arrows on it. I replace the cable with another AudioQuest cable and made sure the arrows were the correct orientation (from the LG to the amp). I watched Prometheus. I got several dropouts before the title sequence was over, so I switched to the Line Out input and watched the rest of the film perfectly. Too bad, because I think the HDMI output sound is better than the Line Out headphone jack.

I also have the player connected to the amp via a Basics cable. The sound via that connection is perfect, too. It's only the eARC connection that's problematic.

As a last ditch attempt, I will use another Amazon Basics cable and see what happens.

If it's not the cable, I don't know if the problem lies with the LG or the EDGE A. Cambridge Audio has not yet responded to my query.

I haven't yet tried LG customer services, but I suppose I should ask them directly.

Thanks for the advice.

nosuchthingasa

Standard Member
I replaced the HDMI cable with the Amazon Basics version. I did a factory reset on the LG while the EDGE A was on and switched to the HDMI ARC input. I went over every possible variation of the eARC sound settings on the LG. Still got the sound glitch. The sound from the HDMI input on the EDGE A is still so much better that when the source is the LG's Line Out source, I realised I would rather suffer the odd audio dropout than use the Line Out source.

Today, I got an email from Cambridge Audio's technical support department. They have had reports of this issue from owners using (mainly) newer Samsung QLED, LG OLED and TCL televisions and are currently working on a fix.

What I have learned from all this is, DO NOT do a factory reset except as a last resort. What a nuisance setting everything up again and having to download/update all the apps and passwords.

Took the best part of a day. Good thing I'm retired! :)

LOKOTADISA

Novice Member
If I play tv sound via the analogue audio out jack via the amplifier, there is no sound glitch. None of the other sources on the amplifier have the glitch. There is no sound problem when using the internal LG speakers. Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox

Last edited: