Question CX 55 or Q90T, something else or wait...

Pdog

Standard Member
LG CX 55” or Q90T advice

I recently had a milestone birthday and was fortunate to receive substantial gift vouchers for JL.

My current TV is a 40” 1080p LED Samsung TV from circa 2009. It is not broken, but I am in two minds to buy now or wait…. (not keen on having a large amount sitting in vouchers)

I do not game anymore, most of the content I watch is via Sky Q and from my local Plex server via an Xbox Series One. I would like the new TV to have good motion and handle football games well.

I have been reading various posts, but I am still undecided, between OLED and LED.

In terms of light in the room, the TV is situated in the corner and there are windows leading to the conservatory along the entire wall.

I don’t upgrade the TV regularly (current one is getting one for 11 years old), so I would like some future-proofing (HDR / HDMI 2.1). The CX is appealing because it has a bit of future-proofing in terms of the HDMI ports being 2.1 (I would eventually like to get a soundbar) and being OLED. But then I think about burn-in, news ticker and worry about it causing an issue. If I went with the OLED, I would want to take the additional warranty for peace of mind.

Ultimately, I am probably deliberating too much and getting hung up on things that in real life won’t make much difference.

Based on the above what would you do in my current situation? Is there anything else that I should be considering?

Dodgexander

Choose first on a display technology to make narrowing choices easier:

Each has their own strengths and weaknesses.
I would like the new TV to have good motion and handle football games well.
I don’t upgrade the TV regularly (current one is getting one for 11 years old), so I would like some future-proofing (HDR / HDMI 2.1). The CX is appealing because it has a bit of future-proofing in terms of the HDMI ports being 2.1
These two requests conflict in the current market. If you want the most renowned motion and to retain good HDR picture quality you need to look at TVs from Sony or Philips which don't use HDMI 2.1 ports.

On the other hand, if HDMI 2.1 connectivity is more important than you need to consider TVs like the LG CX OLED or Samsung Q90T which don't tend to have the best motion.

Of course, motion is in the eye of the beholder, so its hard to know whether you'll be unhappy. Most people aren't.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom