Cutting Edge Versus Obsolescence

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dbloor, Nov 19, 2001.

1. dbloor

dbloor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly sorry if I mispeeld obsolescence.

What are folks opinions about buying a brand spanking new player at full whack compared to a previous generation player which is being reduced to clear.

I have approx 300-400 quid to spend, the idea of trying to audition a Pioneer 737 at 400 quid appeals as surely there must be a lot of engineering for the money. Would it have been been eclipsed by a new player at that price point, say whatever the new Pioneer model is at that price?

In support of my question I have no interest as yet in new audio formats, I am happy to wait and see which wins and buy a stand alone player in the future so I only want DVD play back....

Cheers

Dave

(Edited cos I actually did missspell it :p )

2. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the same old story, draw up a wish list and see what matches.

I used to have a chipped Pioneer, it did have lipsync problems on some disks, some newer DVD models use the NUON system where they can get updated wita service disc (that might make me think twice), but in general reviews and feed back.

I have a Sony 200 disc player, some places are getting rid of these for less than £300, it's all a matter of choice isn't it?

Dave

3. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I had the same dilema when I upgraded my Tesco special, a this years Tosh 500 (for about £500) or a last generation 9000 (released price £800, now avaliable multi region at £310). Having spoken to several dealers (not all of whom had access to the 9000's) they all said get the 9000. So I took a look and went with it.
    At the end of the day see the machines you want running, and go with what looks best to you.