Cutover frequency on Kef 'eggs'

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Silva, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Could some please explain how this works? Do I need it all the way clockwise or all the way anti-clockwise to make the sub handle as much bass as possible...I know the sats handle down (or is it up) to 80hz, so how do I get the sub just right to kick in at about 70hz ish?

Thanks...the instructions are weak and the dial is analogue so its hard to tell...

2. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    By the way I have a Yamaha DSAPAX620, is there anything I need to set on there?, I cant see anything...

Thankyou...

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,059
    don't you mean down to 80hz......as i very much doubt you can hear anything at 80khz....!!!!

4. Silva

Silva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    point taken...any advice?

5. Antonio

Antonio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a Denon 3802, but I would imagine that the theory is the same for your Yamaha. Basically the crossover is the point at which your speakers require the sub to cut in. So if your speakers have a frequency crossover of 80Hz then you will need to set the speaker size to small and the Crossover on the amp to 80hz or less, if your amp supports this feature!

Hope this helps.

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The crossover on the sub fully clockwise, max, then set all speakers to small and sub = yes on the receiver.

As the eggs don´t have much "power" below 120 hz, set the crossover in the receiver as high as it goes, if it is variable...

7. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Lowrider ...
    My 3801 only lets me set the sub crossover if the main speakers are set to LARGE (which I believe is not appropriate to the "eggs") when set to SMALL there is no sub crossover adjustment available ?
    When you say set the crossover to MAXIMUM is that 80mhz or 120mhz ?
    Finally what does the Phase Adjustment do ? It appears to range from 0 - 180 ?
    As you may have gathered (or know) the "manual" (a blatant breach of the Trade Descriptions Act if ever I saw one!) is [email protected] and there is even less on Kef's web site ...
    TIA - Paul ;)

8. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    The Denon 3801 has a fixed crossover of 80hz when setting the speakers to SMALL. The 3802 is variable so will be easier to set up.

i.e all bass below 80hz is directed to the sub or the mains or both depending on the option selected.

The crossover on the subwoofer should be set to maximum. This varies sub to sub (mines about 100 hz).

Reversing the phase on a sub gives a slight cancellation of frequencies at the selected crossover point (to reduce boom, if there is any). This is normally recommended for those with small speakers & a high crossover point i.e Kefs Eggs. Play around with it until you get a smooth response.