Cut-off frequency of a Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by pavlos, Mar 6, 2001.

1. pavlos

pavlos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Can someone explain to me the meaning of the cut-off frequency on a sub, my subwoofer has a cut-off range from 45-150..what does that mean ? and whats is the best range , ie shall I keep the level at 45 or have it higher?

Thanks in advance.

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The cutoff point is the frequency above which the sub won't produce any sound, so for example if you set your filter to 120Hz then no sound above 120Hz will come out of your sub, in reallity all subs will roll off around this frequency so that it will integrate smoother with the main speakers.

You'll have to play with the settings, but if your using it as the .1 channel on DD or DTS then the amplifier will be doing the filtering and only sending the correct signals to the sub, in this case either set it to max or many sub's have a filter bypass switch.

If your using it in conjunction with your main speakers then find the lower response of your main speakers i.e. if they have a flat response to 50Hz, then you'd probably want to set your sub cut off to around 60 Hz to handle everything that the main speakers can't handle.

There's loads of help pages on Sub setup, but I can't remember the at the moment. Hope this helps a bit anyway.

Cheers

Slingshot