1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cut Off Frequency level

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rich tee, Aug 31, 2003.

1. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've recently connected my Paradigm PDR 10 Subwoofer by Phono low level input to my Toshiba SD520E DVD player, in turn connected to Toshiba 32ZP18Q picture frame TV, by Coaxial.

The question is,
    On the back of the Sub it's got a 'subwoofer level', dial switch and a 'frequency cut off' dial switch.

1.How best should I use both Switches?
    2.Should both be turned to the same position?
    3.What benefit is the Frequency cut off switch?

Any Advice will be gratefully received.

Rich Tee.
    :smashin:

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Subwoofer Level dial is the output level (volume) of the subwoofer, this is normally set below the halfway point as anymore is too much.

Freq Cut-Off is the point at which the bass of your 5 speakers is sent to the subwoofer depending on the speaker settings. If you set the speakers to "Small" on the amp then whatever you set the freq dial to (eg 80Hz) is where the subwoofer will take over bass duties. Most if not all people set their speakers to "Small" regardless of how good their speakers are.

2. No they shouldn't be set to the same position, your own testing will dictate the settings.

3. The Freq Cut-Off switch is important because it caters for many different types of speakers. If you had cheapo speakers that could only play bass to about 120Hz then you could set the sub's freq cut-off to 120Hz and not lose any bass from the music/movies.

That is a general guide on the level and freq settings, I can't be anymore specific because I'm not aware of how exactly you've set the speakers/sub up.

3. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The TV is a DD model if i'm not mistaken,so if your'e using the Tv's speakers there probally isn't much you can alter other than channel level and delay.I don't think that the TV has a subwoofer out either so will it work connected to the DVD direct, i'm not sure?
    Is the co/ax connection the digital connection?
    Sorry i can't be more specific but i'm sure there's plenty of people who can be.

4. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for your responses.
    There are some good tips there.
    I used to set both dials to the same level, when it was connected to a Kenwood 5.1 amp.

Tonight I rented Catch me if you can with Tom Hanks to test out the new set up but the woofer never fired up.

Then I played Jaws and all was ok.
    I'll have a play around tomorrow.

I use JPW Minims as Left / Right speakers connected to the tv.
    The tv centre speaker.
    Ariston MX-04 mini speakers for rears.
    There is a built in TV superwoofer but it's pretty weak.
    The TV only lets me set the outputs in number format IE 0 - 100, not large or small etc.

Cheers
    Rich tee.