1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cut down on home cinema costs? (other issues too...)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ab1385, Nov 4, 2004.

1. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    OK I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so it goes here :) Anyway, this is the idea of setup I have atm for my parents:

InFocus SP4805 £1300
    Beamax 16:9 100" electric screen, with remote and wall control £600
    Some cheapish VCR
    Pioneer 575a MR £150
    Sky+ £100
    Playstation 2 (already got)
    Denon 2805 AV £550
    MS Genie 5.1 £800/MA Radius £1000/MA Bronze B2 AV £650
    Appropriate cables for that lot £150-£200ish

I want to shave a couple of hundred off the price if I can. The electric screen really is a must, but if anyone knows of a cheaper one, from 90", that has is remote controlled, for cheaper, please say!

I chose the 2805 for its component upconversion amongst other things, as I thought that it would be far easier to have the amp as the hub of everything and have that transferring everything to the projector. If I went for say, the 1905, and had everything in via either composite upconverted to s-video or s-video inputs, then would I notice that much of a difference over component video? Assume decent quality s-video cable over economy-ish component here, as it would have to go at least 10m to the projector.

Any other projectors reccomended while I'm at it? Looking for nomore than £1300, but if there's something similarly capable up to that price point it may well be worth a look... needs to be able to do daytime TV as well as films (by which I mean during daylight hours, rather than needing to be able to accurately portray Robert Kilroy Silk)

Also, what is the cheapest (best value at least) remote control for all this? If it could do th screen and macros too then that would be ideal, but I don't want to be looking at £400+ here really... maybe something up to £150 off eBay?

...And, final question, how good would this projector be with a PC? Imagine a P3 800 with a 9800pro or something plugged in, how well would it cope with
    A: Games
    B: E-mail, web browsing etc, general text...

I think I'm done... there's something for everyone to answer here! Pretty please!

2. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Try DRH electric screens. there is a post in the Projection Screens forum 'would you beleive'!!!!?

There between £250 - £350 and very very good!

Take the Optoma H30 on Ebay for £800 or £995 shop. Its brilliant and much better than 4805.
    Next model down Denon is just as good, or budget Pioneer or Yammy.

CH

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I own a Screenplay 4805 and am very pleased with it but I would stress it's limitations which could affect your decisions. Firstly, a 100 inch wide image would need to be viewed about 16-17 feet away to ensure no pixelation ( screendoor) can be seen. This size would also greatly reduce the brightness of the image and this means daytime viewing is a definate no no. Ideally, an image size of no greater than 80 inches across ( not diagonally) is the best size for both clarity and brightness of image. Even then, viewing in anyhting but darkness is not recommended. You really need a projector of at least 1500 ansi lumens for daytime viewing and this means primarily computer based projectors as opposed to Home Cinema projectors which are optimised for contrast as opposed to just brightness.
    The resolution of the 4805 is not that high and using through a computer is by all means possible, but a better image would be achieved with an XGA model.
    If Movies are you main interest, then by the 4805 and a small TV for the daytime. If daytime viewing, games and PC use is your priority, then go for an XGA business class projector. Something like the new Sharp XR-1X is a good choice ( see review at link below) which can be bought for under £1300 online.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sharp_XR-1X.htm

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Also, if you go for the 4805, then buy a DVD player with not only prog scan component, but also with DVI as this will give the best possible picture through the 4805. Denon's DVD1910 is a good choice at about £200 or the Samsung HD745/945 also has DVI/HDMI connections.
    Also I would disagree that the Optoma H30 is better than the 4805. It is only a 4:3 model, not 16:9 but has the same resolution so widescreen material will not look as good on the H30. Also the Faroudja video processing on the 4805 produces a far more 'filmic' image that the H30. The H30 is good, but the 4805 is better for DVD use and Sky TV use whihc are both mostly in widescreen.

5. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Ok, how about this then :
    Beamax M-Compact 16:9 Electric Home Cinema Projector Screen 80 inch- £354.99 See: http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3390
    Samsung HD745 with Pal/NTSC Progressive Scan, DVI and Upscaling capabilities -£109.99 See: http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=2318#relprod
    Sharp XR-1X with 1200 ansi lumens 2000:1 contrast ratio, XGA resolution £1288.97 See: http://www.ivojo.co.uk/sharp-xr-1x.htm
    Try the Kef KHT2005 Reduced from £799 to £399 See: http://www.hyperfi.co.uk/
    Denon AVR-2805 £529 See: http://www.krishav.co.uk/store/prodView.asp?idProduct=969&idCategory=494
    Lite-On LVW5005 Recordable DVD Player.( instead of Video recorder) £149 at Argos. See: http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...errer=COJUN&AID=5590799&storeId=10001&go.y=11
    Cables: £150
    Universal Learning Remote:One For All Mosaic £79 at Richer Sounds. See: http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=206343
    Sky + £100
    = £3159.95
    Compared to £3900(max) you quoted yourself which didn't include the DVD recorder or the remote!!!

6. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wooah Oakley thanks for the Samsung DVD player post. OT I know but cheers. (reason is the samsung HD945 that does progressive output and plays divx! for just £135)

7. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77

Hi AB

Not true. Indeed the H30 is a 16:9 optomised. Whether its better or not is clearly a point of taste, but many members have stated they see far less RAINBOW effect on the H30 (an annoying for some, flash of colours).

I beleive the Samsung player is very good indeed, but as rare as rocking horse..... (no one seems to have it in stock). A definite buy if you can find one. The previous model 935 can be found on ebay for less.

Your choice of pj will clearly need to be demo-ed as this is quite a contentious issue but heres a couple of links with pictures about the H30, sorry i cant find any similar links about the 4805

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=351894&highlight=h30+review

Do a search on this forum under "H30" and "H30 Brilliant" and you will find much more information.

CH

8. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Not wanting to get into a long drawn out debate, but the H30 is a native 4:3 projector which can be run as a 16:9 projector, but resolution is lowered from an already low 800x600 to 800x450. This compared to the 4805 which is 858x480. Not much difference, I admit, but noticeable all the same. The colour wheels are the same on both with a six segment, four speed colour wheel. The rainbow problems differ from one person to the next and from one movie to the next so it's difficult to say one's better than the other.
    The Faroudja DCI video processing on the 4805 is exactly the same one as found on the £5000 Infocus Screenplay 7205 and gives it a distinct advantage over the H30 with films.
    But as you said Cool-Hand, it's all down to personal taste at the end of the day and I think we'll agree to disagree!...

9. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Thanks guys, much appreciated...

Would a 'business class' projector work relatviely well for movies as well? Really looking for about 50/50 between TV and movies, PC games and web browsing etc are nice, but not really important when it comes down to it.

Do sevenoaks let you demo pjs?

10. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    The newer business projectors will perform perfectly well with movies if you're not a videophile perfectionist. They will still be a considerably more enjoyable watch than any plasma screen !!
    I'm sure Sevenoaks will let you demo any projector that they stock.

11. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Totally agree OAK. Maybe its my 3910 making the picture superior?? Should receive the H77 in a couple of weeks to make the most of the upscaling technology...

Good luck reviewing AB1385. Sevenoaks are very curtious. Have fun.

CH

12. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    3910? You lucky B**ger !!!!!!...lol
    The new Optoma H57 looks like a fantastic proj too. £1800 and the spec is fantastic. Hope someone puts a review on here soon!

13. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Something to bare in mind AB..... H57?

CH

14. Pistol

Pistol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying the Sharp XR-1X, as it seems to have alot going for it given the price. I live in Canada now and I can get it for approx £862 with a screen! It has the DMD chip which I guess is equivalent to the DDR. Reasonable lumens and good contrast along with XGA resolution... Does any one no anything negative about it?

I had an NEC 410 but I found you could see the grid if less than 6mtrs away. I'm hoping the Sharp will be better on that front.

15. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You could also check out some LCD projectors.