Customs:So have I got way with it?

midknight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well at last Parcelforces's website updated today with info about my PS3 and it states:

Date Time Location Tracking Event

11-12-2006 11:26 International Hub En route to delivery depot
11-12-2006 11:24 International Hub Arrived in destination country
06-12-2006 10:59 CAPE ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) Left origin country
05-12-2006 15:59 Delivery Agent - UNITED STATES AMERICA Collected from customer

So have I got away with out paying any import duty etc.?

Yep you got away with it, thats exactly what mine said and it arrived afew days later with nothing to pay.

Well at last Parcelforces's website updated today with info about my PS3 and it states:

Date Time Location Tracking Event

11-12-2006 11:26 International Hub En route to delivery depot
11-12-2006 11:24 International Hub Arrived in destination country
06-12-2006 10:59 CAPE ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) Left origin country
05-12-2006 15:59 Delivery Agent - UNITED STATES AMERICA Collected from customer

So have I got away with out paying any import duty etc.?

what did u mark its value as?

what did u mark its value as?

Well my seller marked it as a gift (which I asked het to) but she put the value at $35! So I was sure it would get flagged but fingers crosssed it looks like I may have got away with it.

just got back and mine was delivered on saturday, i walked in and was sitting in the lounge, funny thing is you can see the PS3 through the packaging and i still got away without paying a customs charge:rotfl: . Just about to test it before it gets put in hiding for the next 2 weeks

Guys - it's not a dead cert that you've got away with it. I have bought two guitars from the States in the last couple of years...both valued at over £1000. The guitar came and no customs charges applied...or so I thought. About 2 weeks later I got a letter saying I needed to pay the charges. So basically even if it gets to you and you don't pay anything, it's very possible that you'll have to pay them soon.

Guys - it's not a dead cert that you've got away with it. I have bought two guitars from the States in the last couple of years...both valued at over £1000. The guitar came and no customs charges applied...or so I thought. About 2 weeks later I got a letter saying I needed to pay the charges. So basically even if it gets to you and you don't pay anything, it's very possible that you'll have to pay them soon.

If you already have the goods what stopping you not paying? Or at least appealing against them?

If your going to get hit by charges when it hits the parcelforce depot which its about to it will say held for charges (as they send you a letter out) thats what happened with mine.

So it made no mention of charges UNTIL it reached the local depot?

However it also states estimated delivery as the 13th so surely if they were going to hold it for payment of charges they would not put an estimated delivery date?

When I us the tracking number I have it states that it left destination country on the 3rd of December:eek: . Now it is the 11th and still no change. Is it stuck in customs and if so does any know the number I call to find out were the h##l it is as I am starting to get worried.:boring: :lease: :lease: :suicide:

What company delivered it though because some couriers will deliver the goods and send a bill later but Parcel Force always hold onto the package until you pay so if they deliver it then you have got away with it.

So it made no mention of charges UNTIL it reached the local depot?

However it also states estimated delivery as the 13th so surely if they were going to hold it for payment of charges they would not put an estimated delivery date?

Dont worry mate, you have got away with it because if there were any charges then they would have been listed in the tracking info between arriving in the country and being sent to your local depot, your info is the same as mine and mine just got delivered afew days later with no extra to pay.

When I us the tracking number I have it states that it left destination country on the 3rd of December:eek: . Now it is the 11th and still no change. Is it stuck in customs and if so does any know the number I call to find out were the h##l it is as I am starting to get worried.:boring: :lease: :lease: :suicide:

When it arrives in the country it will be listed in the tracking info so if it doesnt state 'Arrived in Destination Country' then it hasnt arrived yet and only after it has arrived will customs get to it.

Dont worry mate, you have got away with it because if there were any charges then they would have been listed in the tracking info between arriving in the country and being sent to your local depot, your info is the same as mine and mine just got delivered afew days later with no extra to pay.

I wouldn't go getting his hopes up yet mate, it can still get charged once it reaches his local depot. That's what happened to me when i got a psp from japan last year.:thumbsdow

My psp went like this..

arrived local depot
out for delivery
then within 2 minutes!
back in depot awaiting charges.:suicide:

The tracking info has also been updated on my u.s ps3 tonight. It's showing a delivery date of tomorrow now.:smashin: I'll say tomorrow afternoon if it got charged or not.:devil: I already planned for getting hit for £40-£120 anyway so i wouldn't get a nasty shock.:lesson:

Well its now out for delivery (although it also states expected delivery date tomorrow but hey I can hope!) and still no mention of any charges - so fingers crossed!

I wouldn't go getting his hopes up yet mate, it can still get charged once it reaches his local depot. That's what happened to me when i got a psp from japan last year.:thumbsdow

My psp went like this..

arrived local depot
out for delivery
then within 2 minutes!
back in depot awaiting charges.:suicide:

The tracking info has also been updated on my u.s ps3 tonight. It's showing a delivery date of tomorrow now.:smashin: I'll say tomorrow afternoon if it got charged or not.:devil: I already planned for getting hit for £40-£120 anyway so i wouldn't get a nasty shock.:lesson:

I was not aware of that, I thought that if it was sent straight to your local depot without being charged then that was the end of it.

I have just bought a 20Gb Ps3 of a guy form the USA on ebay. he has offerd to mark it as a gift and to put any ammount I want on the parcel.

so my ? is. Should I get him to mark it as a gift or a repair and what total cost should I ask him to declare on it + should I get him to put books are inside ??

That's so dumb, how are they supposed to prove how much they are worth when they don't even have them anymore.

Well mine has been delivered today:clap: but at work so will have to wait until later :(

The wife says that there is no customs stickers or anything like that on it at all - but it does say on the label that it is a gift and that is a video game system worth $35!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I really would be suprised if I get a letter from customs in a few weeks - especially as there is no evidence of them inspecting or opening the packaging - how would they know what it is for a start!?

With Parcel Force they will always want paying for the charges before they deliver the package sp if they hand it over then you wont ever have to pay anything.

Other couriers however will hand over the package and send a bill later, that is why I always use normal airmail.

With Parcel Force they will always want paying for the charges before they deliver the package sp if they hand it over then you wont ever have to pay anything.

Other couriers however will hand over the package and send a bill later, that is why I always use normal airmail.

Thats is great news as mine was with Parcelforce - it seems that customs then is a total lottery - still I am well chuffed as that means I got a US 60gb PS3 for £480 including delivery - well happy about that!

No charges here either.:thumbsup: Mine was also delivered by parcelforce. Maybe they are not checking the parcels as much as normal due to being overloaded by christmas deliveries.:smashin: It was on the news the other day saying they have 100m parcels to deliver alone from online shopping.:devil:

I doubt we will get a letter asking for payment either, as said above.. parcelfroce have always asked for payment upfront on anything i've ordered from overseas. Fedex is a different matter though if anyone has ordered through them, when i got a gamecube from japan they didn't send a letter asking for payment until 3 months later.:lesson:

if there is a reasonable amount of money declaration on the box. you always have to pay something , sooner or later

if there is a reasonable amount of money declaration on the box. you always have to pay something , sooner or later

I guess my $1000 mark up was more than a reasonable amount then as I didnt have to pay a penny more.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom