Customs Charges

jian

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just received a DVD with a Customs label attached demanding £10 or so, but when it was delivered, no demand was made for payment. Has the postie stuffed up, or will I be getting a bill in the post?

Cheers!

if it is a customs sticker and not one from the delivery survacy, you probably have to pay up. But £10 seems alot for one dvd.....

ad

Hi buns

An actual HM C&E label has been affixed to the packet (Band of Brothers).

Don't suppose you know how I'm supposed to pay them then do you? Do I actually have to send payment in?

I always thought that they were supposed to demand payment at the time of delivery.

Thanks!

They should indeed collect the fee at delivery, looks like you've got away with that one!

Out of interest which company did you order it from?

If there is no way to pay up, then you cant. I had a similar situation and didnt pay..... eventually they contacted me and i had to..... either way i dont think you would get in any real trouble.

ad

Thanks guys!

I ordered from Amazon.ca.

A breakdown of the figures reveals that £6.46 is attributed to import vat, and a whopping £3.85 clearance fee levied by the PO, making a total of £10.31!

The actual item cost $97 Canadian, which works out at approx £40, so if I do have to pay up, I'll be paying the same as what most other companies are charging, namely £50.

The good thing though, is that if you get away with it, you save £10, but even better, Amazon package their dvd's really well, so you're not going to receive a damaged tin!

By the way, how much is the import duty supposed to be anyway?

...Having just read the note from Royal Mail International on my BOB packaging it does say that they have paid the customs charges on our behalf and will be collecting the money from us.

Not sure how though :confused:

The postman shouldnt deliver the parcel if your not there to pay the charge, they should take it to the sorting office, where you pick it up and pay the money. If the postman has just put it through your door, then your in luck..you dont have to pay !

I had a parcel once that had a customs charge on it, the postman just stuck it through the letterbox..

You probably got a postman who doesnt care about consignias profits.

So dont worry !

Yeah I have had a few items which were delivered without charges being paid... don't think they can be asked to...

Luck of the draw.. though I did just get BOB and LOTR 4 disc via DHL from amazon.ca without any customs charges :)

Matt

ordered my BoB from Amazon.ca and had no customs charges.
Guess it really is a lotery, although mine was delivered by DHL rather than the postie.

Dont know if that makes a difference.

I bought a few discs from DVD Express when I first got a player (1999) and got hit for duty.

I just received lotr 5 disc collectors set from DVD Soon today, no duty.

Why is this?

Check the DVD Soon packaging and note what they put as the value of the package........

OK, C&E can still open every package and check (it's value), but it would increase their workload several times over.

Amazon always list an 'accurate' value, so anything over ~CAN$44 will be liable.

Those of you who ordered LOTR Collectors edition from Amazon.ca, how was it packaged by amazon?

Thinking of getting it, but don't want one that is going to arrive all beaten up.

It was packed in a sturdy box filled with air filled pillows.. very well packaged from Amazon.ca

(bob and LOTR 4 disc)

Matt

Just got my spare copy from dvdsoon (actually delivered on 19th nov but postie got lost) no customs charge , yippee best £30 notes i spent in ages.:cool:

Got mine from cd101.com .

Was £21.99 and UK sourced, so no duty problems. Also got the JB collection there for £155, seemed pretty good price.

PVR

Cheers Matt, will probably place an order soon then.

Its strange how customs works i get my 5 disc LOTR Collectors boxset weighing in at 1.5 kilos thru with no problems but some people get fingered for 2 dvd's weighing mere ounces.Sometimes i think its a case of eenie meenie minie mo.That said i'm chuffed mine got thru less than 30 notes for the LOTR collectors boxset with no customs duties sweet:)

play.com kindly credit my customs charge for the die hard box set
customs was £9.10

from pete

i only asked them if i would get hit my the james bond collection and they offered to credit me the charge

I've just had LOTR 5 disc and phantom menace delivered from amazon.ca in a nice BIG box last week, with customs 'CHARGE' stamped all over it - the bill is £14.98, but it was dumped on my doorstep!!

I've only had to pay customs charges a couple of times in the past, but a nice little note was put through the letter box telling me to collect it and pay at the sorting office.

As for this one, it could have been nicked as no one actually took delivery. Very well packed though - pretty impressed.:D

stretcher

you might have got away with it,

they only deliver the parcel if you have paid the customs normally you have to collect it, from a local office or sorting office

from pete

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom