Customs, BOB, DHL & a question of contracts

PFM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Just been stung today for a Customs charge from DHL, for a Band of Brothers boxset delivered in December.

I've been reading the various customs charges threads on this forum and one thing is burning in my mind.

I understand that I am liable for duty & vat on any imports that I (get caught) buying over the £18 threshold.

However when ordering from Amaozon.ca I do not recall authorising or entering into a contract with DHL to pay the charges for me.

As I understand the situation DHL have paid on my behalf without my authorisation and have then included an administration fee for handling on the invoice.

Could anyone clarify my position here (i know that I am liable for VAT & duty - fair enough):confused:

I've had the same problem with the same boxset and with DHL. I was charged way above the usual VAT for the order and I couldn't understand why so I phoned DHL.
Unfortunatley, Amazon have a habit of not declaring the shipping costs on the customs invoices that are sent with the orders so DHL bases the extra costs on the actual shipping costs and not the lower charge that Amazon charges you. Believe me that the difference can be HUGE!!!!
They suggested I contact Amazon in Canada because they couldn't do anything, which I did, and Amazon credited $20.00 back to me so the only difference I paid was what I expected to pay.
Officially, DHL, as a courier service, is responsible for declaring every shipment they handle (when dutiable) to the customs services. You could declare it yourself (but believe me you don't want to do it youself!!!) and act as your own import agent but in the end, you'd be glad DHL did it for you.
The same applies to the post service. They are responsible for declaring all dutiable shipments that enter the country but because of the huge amount, it's not possible to declare everything and that is why you read so many stories here that some get caught and some don't

Originally posted by jmcr100
They suggested I contact Amazon in Canada because they couldn't do anything, which I did, and Amazon credited $20.00 back to me so the only difference I paid was what I expected to pay.

I had the same problem with some DVDs bought from amazon.ca
DHL (Luxembourg) explained why I had to pay 17€ VAT on stuff that was only worth 34€. And I got the same explanation as u, jmcr100. Yet They didn't tell me to ask amazon. I could have gotten some of that money back:( Oh well at least I know it for next time.
BTW I think u enter a contract with DHL when chosing the faster (not canadian mail) postage.

Tell them that you don't want it and order it from CD-Wow instead. ;)

Good idea Lex,

But Ive had (and kicked the ar*e out of it) the box sett since late December.

DHL:thumbsdow

...I always thought they had to charge you before delivery and were too late to ask for it afterwards a la the Post Office.

I had the same problem with BoB, Amazon.ca and DHL, but I didn't even ask to use DHL :eek: I was given a free upgrade from normal post, which cost me over £10 in charges :mad:

Still a great DVD, R1 for about the same a WHSmiths, quickly.

Some you win, some you loose:rolleyes:

Originally posted by PFM
However when ordering from Amaozon.ca I do not recall authorising or entering into a contract with DHL to pay the charges for me.

The DHL admin fee (around £1.50) is actaully cheaper than the royal mail admin fee (£3.95)

If you got a £10 admin fee you need to contact DHL for a refund as they have accidently used the business admin fee rather than the personnal admin fee.

By using DHL you automactically enter the agreement that they will handle the charges to prevent delays in customs. (amazon.ca mention the customs thing in their help). Even Royal Mail prepays customs charges for you (unlike other carries royal mail collect payment at time of delivery) it's the way customs works in the UK.

With amazon.ca:
Standard International Shipping is normal post (ie. royal mail)
Expedited International Shipping is DHL
Priority International Courier is Express (most proberly DHL)

If amazon.ca upgraded you for free and this result in the charge (ie. because they print shipping value on the package for DHL whereas they don't include shipping on the standard delivery) you should email amazon to complain as they sometimes refund the charge.

BTW: Always make sure you pay DHL charges, if you don't they will blacklist you and refuse to make any deliveries, a couple of months later if you still have not paid they issue a CCJ and destory your credit rating.

As a footnote, DHL and FED EX and UPS service of delivery is based on speed. Customs charges are calculated by them and not Customs, then collected after delivery. Parcel force is different in that the goods will go to Customs and they calculate the charges which Parcel force then pay to get them released for delivery. That is why they collect the charge there and then on the doorstep. Notice 143 on the hmce.gov.uk website explains all this.

Cheers folks,

Looks like I'll have to cough up on this one. WONT be using DHL again!:lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom