1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

customs advice req

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by fatherofnight, Jan 1, 2003.

1. fatherofnight

fatherofnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    hi just got nailed for customs charges that have been paid for by dhl. they do not have a signature to say i accepted the goods, where do i stand on paying or not paying. any advice will be appreciated.
    cheers.

2. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I would just pay them.

Not wishing to "have a go" but you ordered the goods, you chose to have them shipped DHL so you knew you could get clobbered and that it would cost more because of their admin fee etc.. so why try to wriggle out of it?

regards
    Paul

3. fatherofnight

fatherofnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    yeah i know, maybe your'e right. i'm just sick of being taxed left right and centre for everything us brits buy. road tax income tax vat and all the other taxes they enforce on us. we are without a doubt the most heavily taxed country in the world, so any thing i/we/us can get away with i consider it a bonus.
    whinge over.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go speak to some people in mainland Europe and see if you still have the same view ;)

5. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you don't like the idea then don't order from abroad.:p

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    And equally without a doubt, this country has the largest population of elephants in the world as well.

7. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually we're not, nowhere near it. I suspect we do worse in indirect taxation than most, as we probably do on what our taxes go towards, but that's another argument...

DHL have to pay the VAT/Duty, they claim it back from you.. You cheat DHL they have to claim it back from somewhere, so their admin fee goes up for everyone to compensate..

Paul

8. CW1000

CW1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't pay they don't normally chase you, but they do blacklist you, this means they won't deliver any packages to you again until you pay up (they will return future packages to the sender as undeliverable).

A sender would aways report a missing pacakge to DHL have proof that you recieved it if you didn't report it as missing.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Pink Elephants? Definitely!

10. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm expecting two boxsets friday and just woundered, if i get hit with customs do i pay there and then or have i so long to pay.

The reason i ask is that i'm skint, got 40p in the bank:eek: and if i havn't got any money what do i do. Never been hit with customs before so i hope this isn't the first.;)

11. fatherofnight

fatherofnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    after ordering from abroad for the last 2 years and never paying any customs charges sometimes on orders exceeding £250, the last 2 months have been payback time. i have been hit a dozen times and have paid every one without complaint. this one was different i didn't have to pay when i collected the dvd's. i brought the package home and forgot about it untill a letter arrived asking for the money i owed them, and thats all i was asking about, how do i respond to this letter? to pay or not to pay. does it make me a cheater of the system to ask the question. am i dishonest for being sick of paying taxes on things we are already taxed on, sometimes two and three times on the same items.
    actually i have a lot of scandanavian friends who used to come to the uk 4 and 5 times a year on shopping expeditions because our goods were so cheap, they now tell me we/brits have caught up with them and it is now as expensive here as anywhere else in europe.
    we are taxed at source on our wages, we then get in our cars which are cheaper to buy in europe than they are here, we pay tax on our roads to travel to the supermarket, in which we buy our food, on which we are taxed once again. i think i'll buy a couple of cd's on which i will be taxed again. i have a bad chest infection so it will cost me over £6 to buy my prescription, on which i have already contributed towards with my NI payment taken from my wages. my car needs refueling so i will go and buy that petrol what costs more here than anywhere else, because the government put massive taxation on it.
    **** i have'nt mentioned the taxes on clothes, electrical products which can be bought cheaper almost anywhere else in the world, we are taxed for having a tv set whether we want the bbc or not, it goes on and on.
    an asian friend came into the place were i work the other day, i charged him for the goods he bought and gave him the receipt, he took one look at it and said, i dont pay vat i give you cash you cancel the vat, i told him we cant do that but he would not listen
    he could not comprehend that he was being taxed on his money twice, at source and when he wanted to spend it.
    it might be false economics but i would rather be taxed once directly from my wages, obviously on a higher scale to recompense the defecit created by the reduction of prices on all consumer products. one man/woman one tax.
    wow! right or wrong i'm glad thats of my chest.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I hear that there are some African countries where they have neither income nor sales tax. Perhaps fatherofnine would be happier there but no doubt he'd find something else to whinge about.

13. fatherofnight

fatherofnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    whatever! dude. that is the problem with this nation of ours,it is filled with people like yourself who are more than content with their lot just because "people in africa are starving".
    personally i don't give a flying **** about the people in africa, i only care about people i know. "charity begins at home" and the sooner we all realise that and stop interfering in other countries concerns and concentrate on what is wrong with ourselves and our system, when we get that right then we can preach to the rest of the world.

14. denonman

denonman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to fatherofnight, whatever

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fatherofnight,

I don't recall Ian J saying anything about starving people in Africa. You sound like a child who can't win an argument so gets angry and stomps off in a huff.

It's no good moaning about how bad this country is while on the other hand moaning about taxation. You can't have decent public services without funding them through higher levels of taxation. It's the selfish attitude of people like you with an "I'm alright Jack, sod everyone else" attitude that caused the lowering of taxes and the degradation of public services in the first place.