1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

customs advice/cdwow pls help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Ewan, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking about buying Angel season 1 box set from Cd wow. I have a £2 voucher to use. The box set is £28.99 with the £2 voucher it is £26.99
    The problems is customs- will cd wow put £26.99 on the box or £28.99?

Any ideas :confused:

2. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Either way you may get caught.

They will put £28.99 by the way. They only put a reduced price if you bought via a money-off link, like the £1.50 off one.

I've just bought Season One of 24 from the WOW, however, and halfway through buying got this contradictory message:

"This is a BOX SET and as such MAY NOT fit through your letter / post box. In this event the Postman / Postal Agent will leave a note for you to collect this from your local sorting office / collection point.

New shipping methods ensure:
    * no other fees are due / payable (Duty or VAT)
    * delivery direct through your letter box

Recently a small number of items dispatched attracted additional fees.

We apologise for this inconvenience and should you require further assistance please email...
    reply@cd-wow.com

This will not affect any other items you may have ordered.

Please note that within the European Union you MAY be charged CUSTOMS DUTY/VAT on this item as the value of this product is in excess of your personal import allowance.

If applicable, this Customs charge is collected by the Post Office/Postal Agent who may also charge you an additional handling fee for clearing your package through Customs.

We are unable to provide any guidance as to how much the Customs Duty/VAT or Post Office clearance fee will be as unfortunately these charges are completely beyond our control. "

which suggests to me they may be shipping via the great nation that is Sweden again?

3. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply m8 :) I bought some Doctor Who DVD's instead :cool:

4. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hmmm... wonder if it's worth a gamble on the Star Wars Box Set? I've ordered mine from DVD Soon, but pretty certain to get stiffed by customs.

5. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll let you know via this thread if I get hit by HM C & E, and if so, how much I am charged.

6. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent managed to get anything past customs. I ordered some DVD box sets from playUSA and got stung by customs. Havent try cd wow yet.

7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've just received Texas Chainsaw 2004 from DVD Soon, and it was marked $0.00. Could have been because it was a reship, as the first one went missing, but I still thought they put the order value on the packaging. :confused:

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I think it's probably true to say, that the main carrier who often overlooked properly due customs charges, namely the Post Office, have recently started tightening up their procedures.

As a consequence, I guess the probability that you will "get away" without paying charges due, is somewhat decreased compared to peoples' past experiences.

In my experience, other carriers (the likes of UPS, FedEx et al) have always been fairly "keen". After all, it's in their commercial interest to do anything and everything necessary to avoid the government withdrawing their licence.