Customer service!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Alun, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    I posted on here a while ago asking for help with a lip sync issue I was experiencing on my toshiba sd530e DVD player.

Subject: Lip sync issues with sd530E

I have owned this player for around 3 months, whilst very happy with picture quality, I am experiencing problems with the audio.

Specifically, when I play a DVD with a DTS soundtrack, after around 1/2 hour viewing I have lip sync issues. If I cycle through the available audio tracks back to DTS(without stopping the disc), the problem will be corrected for another 1/2 hour or so.
    Obviously this is not an ideal situation, as I prefer DTS soundtracks!

Dolby Digital presents no such issues.

So according to toshiba lip sync problems with a DTS soundtrack is normal :lease: :suicide: :mad:

Knew I should have got the 575.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Basically that reply is, erm, Tosh! :suicide:

Contrast that with Oppo's approach. "Yes, there's a problem, we'll get our heads together and release a firmware fix..." which they duly did for this and many other "features"/requests customers have sent in...PJ

PS yes the 575 is a great player too.

3. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Does anyone see any problems with my query, is it badly written?
    Currently on hold to tosh helpline 9m42s so far. will let you know the outcome.

4. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    22 mins on hold, guy apologised for the email I received and seemed genuinely interested in finding a solution to the problem. Only problem that I face is that its a multi region jobbie, any problems that tosh may uncover will not be covered by them, I have to bring it up with richer sounds.

Any one had a similar expereince with RS?

Cant see them being to chipper about taking back a (on the surface) working model with no box!!

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    DTS discs often have issues, don't forget lip sink can be disc or player issue (or both). Even the best player will have an issue if the disc is incorrectly mastered.

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I would have thought incorrectly mastered discs don't correct themselves temporarily using the 'stop, start' method.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Use to be the first thing they recommended, certainly worked for Moulin Rouge and JP

8. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Nic - I wasnt aware of that DTS issue bit, but on my old sony there was no problems wih the same discs. the one superbit, xxx superbit, fast and furious standard edition all showed lip sync issues that I hadnt seen before.

Anyway, guy from Tosh rang me back and stated that there must be a fault with the machine, I rang richer sounds and guess what..

None in stock.

Happy to give me a refund/cash towards other machine though.

So im off to get a 575 tomorrow, unless anyone can suggest better for under £150...

9. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    Hi to all,

I had to return my sd530e to RS after 11 months becuase the plasticy bit of the optical out fell apart and they exchanged it for a brand new one. So in terms of after sales service, I've been very happy with RS.

In regards to the lip sync issue, i've experienced problems with both models (although the second one had a noticeable firmware upgrade), it didn't completely solve the problem. I don't know if the following would be any help to you but have you tried this:

In the user manual under Additional Information look for the Video Mode Setting.

If you press and hold DISPLAY on remote for 3 seconds you should get the following video mode sequence: AUTO - FILM - VIDEO.

Whenever I had any problems with lip sync, I'd ensure video mode was set on AUTO, turn the player off, open and close disc tray again. It would sometimes take a second attempt but would normally fix the problem.

Good luck and please feel free to ignore this message if I'm a bit off the mark here.