1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Customer Rights!!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by John-D, Jan 13, 2003.

1. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've written about this before, but I just wanted some advice.

I bought a Tosh 32ZT29B on the 29/12/02. I went back to the shop, complaining that the TV suffered from poor magnetism, that was created from my left & right speakers. This made the TV picture slope down from left to right (this also happened with shielded speakers, but not quite so bad).

The manager agreed to change it (for a TV with a tilt control), after he had the service-mans report. I showed the service-man the problem and he agreed the set was showing a bad tilt. He said that I should use shielded speakers, which I then tried from a borrowed pair.

I reported back to the shop, saying the TV's still sloping, and their responce was that the service-man said there was nothing wrong with the set. So now, the shop is now saying, tough! And are not willing to change the set.

I then phoned Toshiba and they said it's a problem with modern TV's. TOUGH! Take it up with the shop.

The set's even showing magnetic bleed from it's own internal front speakers. I'm getting a slight red patch in the bottom right hand of the screen, and dark patches in the other three.

So far, I've complained to the Office of Fair Trading and through Barclaycard, and have sent the manager a letter of complaint, sent via recorded delivery. I've also sent off my Barclays complaint form, but do any of these work?

What I'm asking, is if anyone else suffered from the rubbish that I am getting from this shop. It even states a 28 day money back option, if the sets faulty. I thought the law said 30 days and even if you didn't like the product, you can change it within 30 days. Can anyone clear this up?

Cheers
    John

PS. The picture still slopes, even with my speakers put to the side walls. About 3 feet away on each side of the TV.

2. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    I had a simular problem with Comet back last year. I had a fault with my TV just outside their '28 day exchange' nonsense. They were adamant that they were going to repair the TV but I wanted a refund. In the end, I kicked up so much of a fuss they gave up and gave me my money back.

Like somebody said on this forum, if you complain enough they'll get fed up of you before you get fed up of them.

3. CooLix

CooLix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/consum.html

Might be helpful.

also look at the OFT web site.

But, to be honest, I believe that a shop doesn't have to replace if it isn't faulty.

Same as, when you all received your Britney Spears CD for xmas, by rights, even though you detest the CD, the shop doesn't have to change it. They usually do it as a offer of goodwill.

4. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry to hear you are having these problems.

If you do a search in this forum on the word "Thomson" you will see that I have been dealing with a company who go by the 28 day exchange policy.
    I presume that this might well be the same compnay you are dealing with however I believe that several electrical retailers are big fans of the 28 day or bust warranty.

I reported my fault on my first Thomson within the first week of owning it but the engineer who called insisted that the colour stains that I could see where normal.
    After researhc on this forum I came to the conclusion that this diagnosis was garbage and got back in touch with the store.
    By this time the 28 days has expired and they where insistin gthat they would repair it and under no circumstances would I be recieving a refund or exchange.

The word trading standards soon made them start singing a different tune and a refund set was sent to me.
    The 2nd set is faulty aswell and is very sensitve to my shielded Mordaunt Short 905c so this is going back aswell.

I would advise that you contact them asap and demand to have a least a exchange set and tell them that you have spoken to trading standards who inform you that you have a very strong case for a replacement or refund .

I hope you get sorted mate and im sure you will just stick to your guns.
    Remember you are totally in the right here and as the other poster stated they will get cheesed off sooner than you will.
    Just stay calm and dont loose your rag with them and you wont go far wrong.

Drphibes

5. CW1000

CW1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's up to the shop to sort it out not Toshiba thats why toshiba won't do anything.

As the set is faulty you are entitled to a full refund under the Sale Of Goods Act, it does not matter that you have already had a replacement, as it's also faulty you are entitled to a full refund.

Give Barclays a call as the cc company can help things along because of your rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which gives the cc company and supplier equal liability.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0043-1011.txt

6. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers everyone,

I've been really cheesed off over the last few days, with this situation. It's a welcome sight to see that, it's not me in the wrong.

Thanks for the links, and I can assure you all, that I will not be giving up the fight.

I've already sent the form to Barclays, so I'm hoping they'll be on my side, and Trading Standards have told me what to do, regarding the letter I sent to the manager (which he should of received today).

Just another update!

I used another pair of magneticly shielded speakers again tonight, and the TV still goes on the tilt. So the set really does have a bad magnetic problem.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll keep you all up to date on the situation.

Cheers
    John

7. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me get this straight. You're complaining that your TV is affected by external unshielded speakers?

The engineer and Toshiba was right then. There isn't anything wrong with your set.

8. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    "Just another update!

I used another pair of magneticly shielded speakers again tonight, and the TV still goes on the tilt. So the set really does have a bad magnetic problem."

Think that answers your question.

Drphibes

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    External magnetism doesn't usually cause tilt without also introducing severe colour impurity - eg something that should be pure blue being, say magenta, red, green, etc.

If it's tilt alone that you are seeing - then the set's geometry adjustment is off. However, whether or not it is 'within tolerance' (theirs, not yours) is another matter.

I have yet to see any brochure, specification sheet, or other material available to consumers that stipulates what 'tolerance' is in such cases.

Years ago (and still, I think) amplifiers used to quote a maximum power output of n watts at m% total harmonic distortion. Or a frequency response of x hz - y khz +/- z%.

You never see a TV spec that says straight lines will be straight +/- nmm - do you?

Which suggests to me that manufacturers may be on thin ice when they try to fob you off with a tolerance that isn't in the public domain.

LCD manufacturers are wise to this. They nearly always have a phrase in their literature about bright or dark spots being 'part of the manufacturing process and not a malfunction'.

10. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    The difficulty with picture tilt is that it's affected by the earth's magnetic field so it's very difficult to get a "correct" setting on a set that is not fitted with an adjustment control. Turn the set through 90 degrees and and you will usually see a difference in the picture tilt.

11. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update!

I'm glad to report that I've managed to get a replacement TV, which I'll be picking up sometime tomorrow.

They sent an engineer (again) and he agreed that the TV had a bad tilt (just on half of an inch). He then called the shop from my home, to confirm that the set was faulty.

I just wish that companies, making high-end sets, would put such a simple thing like a tilt control, to stop a lot of hassle.

Hope you're listening Tosh!

John

PS. Anyone recomend which TV to get? The choice is:

Sony 32NX100 or NX200
    Sony 36FS76
    Philips 36PW9607