1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Wall...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jroz, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Jroz

Jroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys..next year im going to be living in a suite and wanna make a nice screen for my projector. The Walls are off white..so im gonna mount my projector..find the perfect size...tape it off with some painting tape.. paint the wall matt white and coat it about 2 or 3 times. After that i want to make a nice black border around the wall so it looks like a screen. I was trying to find some thick black wallpaper border, but all i can find is multi color or flower desing wallpaper boarder :) Does anyone know what i should use to just make a nice border around the screen. Id like it to be some what easy to take off the wall since my school would probably not want it on the wall after :lesson: . Any ideas, this is a rough sketch off what i wanna do if anyone is confused :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    It depends what you mean by easily removable...

Option 1 - mask off a border and paint matt black - overpainting with a few dozen coats will eventually remove!

Option 2 - you can buy black "flock" tape (like velvet) - unsure how sticky it is hence how easy to remove - I think a place called Nexnix do this

Option 3 - Make a wooden frame 2"x1" batons and paint black... but if you are going this route you are halfway to making a DIY screen, do a search on this forum for "blackout material" to pick up some ideas.

Good luck!...PJ

3. Jroz

Jroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help bud. Im not sure if id like to paint the wall black, one because when Resident Life comes around they may make me take it off, or just paint it back which id do....but i dont know how a black border would look, it may not look good that flat...thanks for the help though i'll check out that search option

thanks
    Jason

4. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Most landlords are pretty forgiving of stuff like paint, preferring to take a dim view of structural changes and running a business from their premises etc. Why not test the ground by writing to the person most responsible for your digs outlining what you want to do and see if they allow it. Permission to drill for a ceiling mount would be a good one while you're at it - PJ + beer x students is an equation that most of us can do without a slide ruler!

Just be certain to explain that you'll make good any work before you leave and are open to any suggestions that they may have if your proposals are unacceptable but you'd appreciate an explanation for any refusal. That'll let you know where you'll stand at least.

Make sure your insurance is up to scratch too - it's not just traffic signs that your 'mates' will nick when the loan runs out.