Custom Unraid NAS

groen

I built this NAS in 2018, at the time I had 5x4 TB of disks full with data. I bought 4x6 TB Seagate NAS drives and used one of the 6TB disks as the parity. Over time I replaced the 4TB disks with 6TB disks, leaving one 4TB behind so that I can upgrade the parity with a larger disk and reuse the 6TB in the array. Not sure whether I should go 10TB or 12TB for the new parity.

I basically used my old Desktop PC motherboard and CPU when I last upgraded. Then bought the Silverstone 8 port and the new drives and cases and set it up.

The requirements for the build, I wanted hot swap with HBA support and it must be short throw so that it fits in a small 9u short throw rack. I also wanted to build a pfsense 1u as well, which I did and you can see the spec below.

Specification

Unraid
Logic Case SC-43400-8HS
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H
Intel 4670k 3.8ghz
8GB corsair unbuffered
8 Port SilverStone ECS04
7x 6TB Seagate ST6000VN0033
1x 4TB WD
550W Seasonic Focus Gold PSU
2x 80mm back Noctua Fans for Case
2x 120mm front fan
1x 140mm front fan

Pfsense
in-Win IW-RF100
Supermicro A2SDi-4C-HLN4F
4gb 2133mhz Unbuffered
60gb SSD
WIFI TP-LINK CAP1750 WAP
8 port netgear switch w/ poe

The case had poor cooling of the drives because it just lacked fans at the front of by the drives. The temps were a problem, eventually I found a solution that was not ideal but until I find a better case that fits my requirements it will have to do. I will in the future buy matching fans and clean it up, I just used spare fans that I had lying around. Some fan grills might be a good idea as well.

At the moment the bottle neck is the 1 gigabit network as the drives copy and read at maximum speed. The future I could buy a faster nic and add an SSD for cache but would need my windows PC to have a faster nic as well to realy benefit. If you find a case that has better cooling and fits my requirements please let me know.

1607450093459.png

If you have any comments or questions please let me know.

gordlike

Novice Member
Hello!

I have been looking at the Silverstone ECS04 for my system.

Haven't been able to find anyone to ask.
Wondering if you have had any issues with it so far?
Were any firmware tweaks required to get it up and running?

Thanks,

Kind Regards
:)

groen

It has been a few years since I did that. If I remember correctly I had to put it in to IT mode which was straight forward.

I had issues trying to use the card on an old motherboard initially, it basically needs UEFI which is not that new, so most MB have it these days so not a major concern.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom