Custom scart for sky box in cupboard

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by pateja, Dec 26, 2006.

1. pateja

pateja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

It would be great to gain some of your expertise on a strange request.

I am moving my sky box/ dvd into a cupboard as my new screen in the bedroom takes up all the space (built in wardrobes)

As a result i have drilled a small hole to feed a cable through but the scart head will not go through it.

I cant drill any bigger and am therefore looking for some advice on a solution.

(a) Does a scart lead exist with a detachable head (guessing not )

(b) I do have S-video/ phono sockets on the sky box, could i utilise these ? This would fit through the hole. Would this lead a detiriation in signal compared to scart

(c) Should I try to make my own cable ? Is this difficult and I guess would lead to an inferior cable compared to what you can buy

(d) Any other ideas.

I'm stuck with a room full of wires and components

Many thanks

Jay

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,532
    Depending upon the make/quality of the Scart lead, it may be possible to disassemble the scart head and have the head moulding separate to the cable and metal scart connector (normally internal to the moulded scart). You may be then able to feed the cable through the hole and re-assemble the Scart cover back onto the cable once inside your cupboard.

3. pateja

pateja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Malice, I will try to look for such a cable, if not, do you know if it is relatively easy to make your own scart.

I know that Maplin sell the components

Thanks,

JP

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,532
    If you look at your existing Scart lead, where the "head" of the scart joins the cable you will see a round collar which just screws and holds together the two sides of the Scart head unit. Unscrew the collar, slide it down the cable a little and prise open the Scart head and you should be able to remove the casing altogether. Feed the "guts" of the cable through your hole, re-attached Scart head and screw back the collar to hold it altogether again.