Custom Resolutions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mike-M, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have a Momitsu V880 with DVI out and a Screenplay 4805 with DVI (M1-DA) in.
    As I can set custom resolutions on the DVD player and the native resolution of the PJ is 845 x 480, am I right in assuming that this is the resolution I should set the DVD to?
    If so can anyone tell me where I'll find the necessary values to use. I've been looking on the net but drawn a blank.
    Is there a way to work out the settings?
    I am a complete novice at this and don't know where or how to start.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In principle yes, setting the player to the same resolution as the display gets you the best PQ by avoiding the scaler in the projeoctor .. assuming that in the player is better, and IMX the Momitsu's scaler is pretty good.

Getting the values is another matter. :)

The easiest way is to use Powerstrip on a PC to get the numbers, then enter then into the utility from this thread on AVS which'll convert them to the numbers the V880 uses.

I've done this on a V880, I assume it'll also work on the V880N but I'm using component on that and the custom resolution is only available on DVI.

3. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    As I say, I'm a complete novice at this. Do you mean connect a PC to the PJ, run Powerstrip, make a note of the resulting numbers and enter them into the utility you mention. Then take the settings that the utility gives and enter them into the DVD?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Didn't know how much you know about PCs. :)

No need to connect the PC to the projector, in fact there's no need to actually change the resolution of the PC at all, all you need to do is use Powerstrip's Custom Resolution dialog to select the resolution you need .. you may well find it comes with a pre-set that matches what you need .. and then simply transfer the numbers into the utility you can get from the first message posted in that AVS thread I linked to.

The utility is free and Powerstrip is available on a trial basis. If you get stuck then there's plenty of help available in the HTPC forum. :) It is a bit of a pain but there's no easy way to do this, sadly Momitsu don't provide this sort of tool .. OTOH, there are few DVD players with any sort of custom scaling at all.

5. Mike-M

Mike-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thank's for that KraGorn. I now have plenty of figures to go at.
    "Time for a fiddle me finks"

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Slowly does it. ;)

If you run into trouble feel free to ask, here on via PM, I've only done it once but it worked as expected .. also note, assuming you've got an original V880, that if it goes pear-shaped and you lose the display that you'll end up back at the DVI setup menu, pressing the RIGHT and ENTER buttons will get you back to 480P mode and you can try again.

If you've a newer machine with the slimline remote, simply pressing the 'TV Mode' button enough times will get you back to a stable display.