Custom Rack from Kitchen Cupboard Units

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ChuckMountain, Sep 9, 2012.

1. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,254
    So I am busy underway with my house alteration project

I want to have a node 0 in my garage and already have networking in there to my MicroServer and Router etc.

I now want to move my AV kit in from the lounge to the garage and mount in a rack.

Given we are getting a new kitchen the old one is now redundant and still in reasonable condition. So I was thinking of using the oven cabinet and adding a few more shelves. Given the oven itself weighs in 60 odd kg then think my equipment should be ok so long as shelves were suitably mounted. I was then thinking of modify the doors to have a fine mesh in the centre panel so I can close the doors but still allow ventilation and keep the dust out.

Is this a daft idea??? :lease:

My cable runs to the lounge including speaker cable will be approx 20 metres which I assume though longer than ideal I shouldn't have any problems with.

Also looking at Rako lighting which I like the look apart I don't think she who must be obeyed will like the actual light switches. Will they pass the MIL factor as she won't necessarily know what 1 to 4 does. Are there any pretty switches\more obvious ones available?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    You could use a tall cabinet as a rack there are rails you can buy to use rack shelves and screw in if correct width. rako switches are pretty easy 1 = on off = off top most light bottom least...... Garages tho can be damp and have issues worth being aware off often less secure but not many people put cars in them an roller type doors a good investment

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,480
  4. Aberdeen Al

Aberdeen Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have recently just moved all my AV equipment from shelves under the stairs cupboard into a 42U rack in the garage and have had no issues as of yet.

Will be interesting how the equipment copes when the temperatures drop outside over the colder months only time will tell.

As for cables, my HDMI is 20m long and speaker cables around the 15 - 20m range.

I've moved one of my alarm sensors in the garage to give some sort of "protection" too.

5. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    If you are recycling a kitchen cabinet and converting it into a 19U rack system, you won't be able to actually get to the back or sides of the screwed in kit so you may be making your job a massive nightmare. The beauty of using rack cabinet is you can just pull it out, spin it around or work behind it, take side panels off, clip things in place and close it again.

6. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,254
    I was going to take the back off and mount it against my wall at 90 degrees to how it would normally go in the kitchen, fit some doors with a cutout\mesh centre panel and fans for cooling. That way I would access to front and back at my leisure as you don't normally need the sides of equipment.

In the end that seemed like too much hard work and I managed to pick up a rack from ebay for £51 so am using that with some shelves which cost far more than the rack.

Thanks everyone for the help though :):clap:

7. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Good buy! It will certainly look better in the end I think, racking just looks made for purpose and as much as you would think it's more an eyesore I think something modified to a rack will in the end stand out worse. Don't forget to post photos!!

8. Aberdeen Al

Aberdeen Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    With a rack you can do things like this...

Attached Files:

9. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,254
    Good point was wondering what to do with a slide out drawer, now I have the answer :)