1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Poster Frames - Is there a Cost effective solution? HELP!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by milfordkong, May 27, 2005.

1. milfordkong

milfordkong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello there,
    Not sure if this is in the right section but wasn’t sure where else to post it, anyway I’ve had a large Darth Maul poster that was a promo for Ep1 (has obi wan on the other side) I got this signed by Ray Park at one of the MK collectormania fairs a couple of years back and ever since it’s been rolled up and tucked away.

It’s already a little dog eared and now as I want to put it up on the wall I’d like to protect it by framing it.

My question is, can I do this VERY cost effectively. I’ve checked out some of the custom frame services on the old interweb and most of them want upwards of £80 just for a couple of bits of wood or metal and a sheet of transparent plastic :confused: !! It’s a pretty odd size (exactly 1522mm by 550mm) but I’m sure the door posters you see in Virgin megastore are around the same size (one of the things they display those in would be ideal).

So, anyone know of a way I can frame it on the cheap, nothing fancy just a simple thin black or silver border and a protective covering. I have several other posters but managed to get nice simple frames from ikea for around £15 each for those. I doubt very much they sell a frame in this size.

I’m open to any DIY suggestions too,

Cheers for any help in advance, :thumbsup:
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. R2D2

R2D2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in wilkinsons they have picture frames that have clips arround th outsied and are borderless they attach by a samll whole being cut in the ply wood at the back if wou were to get the right sise plexi glass and the correct sise wood you could buy a amsll frame and use the clips offof these by just cutting the hole in the wood using the backing for the bought frame as a template you may even be able to buy the clips seperatly :D hope this helps

3. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,347
    How about buying some of that fancy rail stuff they sell in b&q for a few pounds at loads of different lengths, cut it for the size you need (cutting diagnally) then using some perspects plastic the cheap clear flimsy stuff opposed to the thinker hard stuff

tris