Custom PC Advice/Upgrade

Basically I do have a PC but I am thinking of upgrading the graphics card to 4 GB currently is 2 GB all I am doing is editing holiday footage in 1080p and 4K though as you can imagine on VLC player I do get a lot of lagging even on 4K films etc though on some players run it a bit more smoother but not that great my RAM is good at 20 GB RAM but unfortunately I'm not sure if it's the processor or the graphics card that slow things down.

Any suggestions? If I did go for a Custom PC with a budget of say £500 what would you suggest. I may use my other PC's as a backup but want 1 as the Death Star😅

1 of my Processors is:
4.3GHz AMD A8-6600K
28GB RAM

The other is:

3.7GHz AMD A10-6700
20GB RAM

Many Thanks

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
though as you can imagine on VLC player I do get a lot of lagging even on 4K films etc though on some players run it a bit more smoother but not that great my RAM is good at 20 GB RAM but unfortunately I'm not sure if it's the processor or the graphics card that slow things down.

I'd expect that system CPU to struggle with 4K films because they typically use the very processor intensive HEVC codec. Newer systems have dedicated hardware for playback for power efficiency reasons so even a low end mobile phone with a much weaker CPU than your current one can manage fine.

These HEVC decoders are typically sat on the same silicon as the GPU so they can be added with a sufficiently new graphics card (less than 4-5 year old tech) although graphics cards are still very overpriced in the current market. Every new CPU with integrated graphics has one.

You're not really clear about whether you're having other issues. You mention you edit video in FHD but don't say if you're struggling with editing or FHD playback.

Many thanks for the response, at the moment there is no issue with using software to edit video to be honest but would a better graphics card improve things a bit, especially my display as I'm using a 65 inch Hisense, it's not so sharp at the moment a bit soft.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Many thanks for the response, at the moment there is no issue with using software to edit video to be honest but would a better graphics card improve things a bit, especially my display as I'm using a 65 inch Hisense, it's not so sharp at the moment a bit soft.

It depends on your editing software. Video editing has traditionally been a CPU-based task (graphics cards were designed for the demands of 3D rendering) but some higher end software can use the GPU as well these days, especially for things like complicated filters.

Softness on the display is likely to be either too low a resolution for it's size and viewing distance - either inherently or because your hardware doesn't support the full resolution. Unless it's only soft in specific circumstances then it's unlikely to be performance-related.

Physical display size isn't relevant for performance.

Thanks for that.

On 1 PC I got a 1GB GUI, basic of course the other has 2GB which of course makes quite a difference, kind of like good SD to HD.

If I did go for a Custom PC with a budget of say £500 what would you suggest. Gaming is not for me on a PC, I mean I might play FM but nothing high end.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that.

On 1 PC I got a 1GB GUI, basic of course the other has 2GB which of course makes quite a difference, kind of like good SD to HD.

For video editing I'd expect the power of the graphics card processor to make a much bigger difference than the amount of memory it has.

What cards do you have and where are you seeing the difference? Speed during editing? Encoding.

2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 in one (Very Sharp/Clear on my screen)

In the other PC:

1GB ATI Radeon HD 5450*
1GB ATI Radeon HD 4600

*Though using this through HDMI but even with 2 Cards its still a soft picture

I noticed that the better processors over the past 8 yrs or so are quite expensive, £235 so not sure if I should replace it in another PC I got lol which has excellent connections, need to know what M/B it is so you could tell me what could fit in it.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Without knowing what it is that's sharp or soft on the screen it's hard to pinpoint what it might be.

If it's everything in all programs then it's likely output resolution which is purely down to what the individual card (and the screen) supports and additional cards, more video memory or a more powerful card won't make a difference.

CPU-Z should give you details of the motherboard

I forgot to say, for some reason I the display resolution I'm getting is only up 1080p its not giving me the options of 3840x2160 I did update the GUI drivers etc

next010

Distinguished Member
I forgot to say, for some reason I the display resolution I'm getting is only up 1080p its not giving me the options of 3840x2160 I did update the GUI drivers etc
3840x2160 is only possible with HDMI 2.0, your GPU's are from around 10 years ago so may not feature such an output. 1080p on a 4K TV would be one reason the picture is softer.

None of your GPU's have 4K H.264/H.265/VP9 video hardware decoding support so it falls onto the CPU to do it via software decoding and your CPU's are not great in this area.

Due to semi-conductor shortage and high demand prices for GPU's have spiked so its not a great time to buy.

Consider a motherboard CPU/RAM bundle, you will get a far better CPU than what you have and the Intel iGPU built in has 4K video hardware decode support, its a much better value buy than a standalone GPU.

If you want to fit a GPU to other PC's something like this could work, it has HDMI 2.0 output, the GT-1030 has hardware decode for common 4K video formats but not all.

To do 4K GPU accelerated video editing you need a GTX-1050TI minimum, not all editing software supports NVENC so you'd have to check if your does or has a plugin.

Much Appreciated though on my other PC it's like I said Razor Sharp, any thoughts?

IMG_20220215_102928.jpg

3840x2160 is only possible with HDMI 2.0, your GPU's are from around 10 years ago so may not feature such an output. 1080p on a 4K TV would be one reason the picture is softer.

None of your GPU's have 4K H.264/H.265/VP9 video hardware decoding support so it falls onto the CPU to do it via software decoding and your CPU's are not great in this area.

next010

Distinguished Member
Much Appreciated though on my other PC it's like I said Razor Sharp, any thoughts?

The GTX-645 you have is outputting 2160p 60hz but it doesn't have hardware decode for 4K video, for example video on Youtube would be VP9 and other sources would be H.265.

You could replace it with the GT-1030 if you just want 4K video playback.

Thanks for that information, actually it's the other PC I should take a snap shot of so that you can see, the one above works fine even editing 4K but as you said playing 4K struggles but not so much on one of the media players.

So here is the lowdown on the soft screen

IMG_20220217_075252.jpg

IMG_20220217_075324.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom