custom made - rough idea anyone?

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by simonoaks, Feb 9, 2009.

1. simonoaks

simonoaks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Hi,

It just seems there are no wood stands that fit some basic requirements such as depth AND length AND shelving arranged so you can get an amp plus a few bits in, therefore, is it possible to get a ROUGH idea of the sort of money I will have to pay for a custom build and the usual lead time?

Do not want to offend any craftsmen out there, but can I cut costs by getting cheaper infrastructure with a veneer finish, as I want a light oak or maple type colouration (well missus does) but they are expensive woods.

My requirement is for (wxhxd):

1800x500x500

if you can picture it, I basically need a unit I can sit a 46inch plasma (1160 w) in the middle with a front pair either side (195 w) for the top.

Then, underneath a central section for amp (440x250x470) with vertical partition either side. then the left and right sections left after this central partition to have a shelves equally spaced cutting the L/R in two. This gives big centre section plus 2 L/R sections of 2x 250 shelves. Does that make sense, if so, any ROUGH idea of costs would be appreciated, and any recommendations of where to go:)

thanks

2. Bobbler

Bobbler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I may have an idea for you tomorrow. We are heading out to our local wood furniture makers who do bespoke work and my sizes are not that far removed from yours at 1900x50x50ish

Based very much on this design here TV STAND. UMAH LONG TV CABINET / WOOD FURNITURE. NEW DW on eBay, also, TV Stands, Living Room Furniture, Home Garden (end time 16-Feb-09 08:18:45 GMT) that another forum member showed me the other week here. I have just made some tweaks to the drawer sizes to allow dvd sized cases to fit on end and a little more depth to it.
    I have also seen the work these guys do as they built a bespoke unit for my dad last year and like to keep work local if you can.

3. simonoaks

simonoaks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    how did you get on?

4. Bobbler

Bobbler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry forgot about this one.

Yeah we went and seen them but approximated £450 based on the dimensions and work. This was doing it "cheap" so to speak with carded drawer bottoms, basic drawer runners, carded rear - none of which I really wanted but it went up from there!
    They couldn't really help much though because they only work in pine and oak, neither of which where really available dark enough (we where wanting a chocolate brown finish like walnut really) without it looking somewhat awful. They showed us some examples of how dark they could get the wood but it just wasn't enough. They did have some real quality work there, we bought our oak bed from them a few years ago and its sturdy made.

I am gonna have to go with the ebay one I think, I can't get anything close to it on the high street - so many seem to not have a place to put a centre speaker which is not offset and I certainly don't want it on the top where the screen will be sitting. Also now the missus has decided she definitely wants this sort of size too at around 2m as it covers our wall fully and gives her plenty of room for knick knacks and pictures - which I will be attempting to rattle off the sides with plenty of sub sounds :D

Good luck in your hunt though mate.

5. deckingman

deckingman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I've had 3 quotes. Overall dimensions similar to yours but with black glass doors (but remote friendly) which are also "pocket" doors (they slide back into the cabinet when open). Real wood or real wood veneer finished in Cherry to match some existing stuff. One was £3k, another was £1,800 and the third was £1,300. Still saving!

6. simonoaks

simonoaks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    thanks,

that's it then, I will just buy two 900X500 for £250 each and put them togther!!

7. Bobbler

Bobbler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    We actually sourced a different one via ebay and it is top notch.
    Walnut veneer over real wood and solid walnut on other bits. Came flat packed but is supplied with quality fittings which made it a very sturdy bit of kit. We have ended up buying the sideboard and the table too from the same company as we where so impressed.
    Was perfect for my needs, I have one cupboard which I have put some large holes in the back of for all the power leads and the Sky box, wifi router. Middle section houses my centre speaker, amp and PCH with no bother.
    REDUCED!!! AMERICAN WALNUT TV/DVD UNIT - FREE DELIVERY on eBay, also, TV Stands, Living Room Furniture, Home Garden (end time 13-Feb-09 08:03:12 GMT)